News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
UK: Impulse purchases increase among mobile, tablet shoppers
A new study from Rackspace Hosting reveals that smartphones and tablets are having a big effect on impulse purchases in the UK, increasing by as much as $1.78 billion a year (£1.1 billion).
Shopping on a smartphone or tablet has become so quick and easy that consumers in the UK are spending more, according to new research from Rackspace (UK). Almost half (48%) of smartphone and tablet owners in the UK, equating to around 3.35 million people, confess to making more impulse purchases now thanks to their mobile devices.
The majority (71%) of those impulse shoppers say the reason they are making such purchases is that mobile technology enables them to do so quickly and easily. In fact, over a quarter of them (27%) said shopping via mobile was a better experience than shopping in-store.
In addition, Rackspace found that these mobile shoppers spent, on average, $534 (£329) extra per person per year.
While a few (18%) make impulse purchases via mobile from work, during a lunch break, most (62%) did so when at home with the hours between 7pm and midnight the most popular time to shop.
"We're a nation of bargain hunters, so tablets and smartphones make it easier than ever for consumers to keep their eyes open for great deals and snap things up wherever they are," says Fabio Torlini, VP of Cloud at Rackspace.
"This is good news for retailers in general of course, but our study provides some additional insight here. The retail trade still has work to do in order to convince the majority of the British public that using mobile devices to shop online is a safe, preferable and attractive alternative to logging on from their PC or visiting a store."
- European silver surfers' media consumption moving online
- Social sharing call-to-action in digital ads drives consumer interaction
- Google Play in-app sales rise 700% YoY
- comScore: Desktop spending up 13% YoY
- Report: More money to focus on branded content
- Ads on YouTube grow but TV ads considered more effective
- Online preferred shopping environment of affluent consumers
- Top 3 tips to improve webrooming abilities
Featured White Papers
- Improving ROI with Marketing Optimization
The requirement to juggle multiple constraints and considerations is an inescapable part of the marketing equation. Marketing executives need a...
- Top 10 Online Brand Protection Strategies for 2013
Whether stealing web traffic, pirating digital content or selling counterfeit goods, online scammers are sure to continue highjacking brands for...
- Get Serious About Email Marketing
Small business success starts with a solid email foundation. If you're a small business with limited resources, you need an...
- The Essential Guide to Internet Marketing
Learn the latest tips and tricks to online marketing by downloading the latest edition of our most popular ebook! Whether...
- Smarter Service: The Contact Center of the Future
Today's consumers expect better service, better products, and better communication with retailers. Without a single view of the customer across...
- 9 Reasons Why Your Email Campaign Is Failing
When you analyze your email marketing program, what is your email data telling you? Measuring your data can be difficult,...
- Deliver Extraordinary Customer Experience
Competition is fierce in today's economy and customers know this. They can easily search the Internet to find companies that...