News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Twitter mobile revenues exceed Facebook's - but not for long
A recent survey from research firm eMarketer reveals Twitter has overtaken social network behemoth Facebook in terms of mobile ad revenue in the U.S.
According to eMarketer, Twitter will achieve $129.7 million in mobile ad revenues in 2012. Meanwhile Facebook, which only entered into the realm of mobile ads this year, will come in at just over half of Twitter's revenues with $72.7.
Facebook continues to earn most of its ad revenues from desktop ads, but has recently made moves into the mobile ad space. Earlier this year, Facebook launched ad options that allowed advertisers to appear in newsfeeds on the social network's app.
This move into mobile will ensure Facebook's rise above Twitter come 2014, predicts eMarketer. By that time it is estimated that Facebook will earn $629.4 million compared to $444.1 million by Twitter.
However, Facebook has a long way to go to rise above current mobile ad revenue leader Google which brought in $1,423.1 million in mobile ad revenue for 2012.
According to eMarketer, "The increasing focus on mobile by both Twitter and Facebook, as well as other major digital advertising publishers, will contribute to growth in the overall US mobile advertising market, which eMarketer estimates will reach $2.61 billion this year. By 2016, the US mobile advertising market is expected to near $12 billion."
- Driving website traffic revealed as retailers' biggest challenge
- Revenues from tablet games to triple in next five years
- Marketers must react to changing consumer behavior caused by technology
- Facebook launches Event ads to appear in Newsfeeds
- UK: Online Christmas shopping to exceed £13 billion
- Top 3 retail tips to personalize across channels
- Expert Advice: Use in-store techniques to sell online
- Twitter helps agency campaigns take off with Flight School
Featured White Papers
- Expert Panel: Brand Strategists Answer Top 5 Social Questions
During SXSW Interactive, we gathered a team of five leading brand strategists to answer the five most pressing social questions...
- The Truth About Cloud Security
"Security" is the number one issue holding business leaders back from the cloud. But does the reality match the perception?...
- 5 Ways to Personalize Beyond the Subject Line
Many marketers are still using batch and blast tactics for their emails and are often limited in their personalization efforts...