News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Travel: Mobile app use far exceeds mobile web
When Nielsen analyzed the use of apps and the mobile web in the travel market they found that consumers tend to use apps for navigation and guidance and the mobile web for trip planning and research.
According to Nielsen, almost 95% of all Android and iOS mobile traffic to travel-related content comes from mobile apps.
Just 5% of traffic comes via the mobile web.
The app/mobile web split is very different across travel categories:
(%App vs. %Web)
Airlines - 61% vs. 39%
Cruise Lines - 0% vs. 100%
Ground Transportation - 14% vs. 86%
Hotel - 31% vs. 69%
Maps/Navigation - 98% vs. 2%
Multi-category travel - 79% vs. 21%
Travel Destinations/Theme Parks - 54% vs. 46%
"When looking at the top U.S. travel apps and sites, consumers seemingly prefer apps for guidance and the mobile web for trip planning," notes Nielsen in a recent press release. "Seven out of the top 10 Travel apps during June 2012 featured a map/navigation function, while the top mobile websites mostly included airlines and travel aggregators, such as TripAdvisor and Priceline.com."
The figures analyzed were for June, 2012, a month during which Google Maps was the top travel app and website and accounted for 78% of all mobile time spent on travel-related content. Google clocked up a total of 78 million app users during June, 2012, and another 17 million on the mobile web.
- Nearly half of consumers believe mobile marketing messages are irrelevant, useless
- Bazaarvoice points the way to authentic reviews
- Top 3 design tips for mobile email
- Cyber Monday: Hottest ever revenue day
- Long? Short? Which headline length generates the most click-throughs?
- comScore: U.S. smartphone ownership reaches all-time high
- UK retail websites struggled to cope with Cyber Monday traffic peaks
- Twitter ups ad relevancy with Tailored Audiences
Featured White Papers
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...