News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Travel: Mobile app use far exceeds mobile web
When Nielsen analyzed the use of apps and the mobile web in the travel market they found that consumers tend to use apps for navigation and guidance and the mobile web for trip planning and research.
According to Nielsen, almost 95% of all Android and iOS mobile traffic to travel-related content comes from mobile apps.
Just 5% of traffic comes via the mobile web.
The app/mobile web split is very different across travel categories:
(%App vs. %Web)
Airlines - 61% vs. 39%
Cruise Lines - 0% vs. 100%
Ground Transportation - 14% vs. 86%
Hotel - 31% vs. 69%
Maps/Navigation - 98% vs. 2%
Multi-category travel - 79% vs. 21%
Travel Destinations/Theme Parks - 54% vs. 46%
"When looking at the top U.S. travel apps and sites, consumers seemingly prefer apps for guidance and the mobile web for trip planning," notes Nielsen in a recent press release. "Seven out of the top 10 Travel apps during June 2012 featured a map/navigation function, while the top mobile websites mostly included airlines and travel aggregators, such as TripAdvisor and Priceline.com."
The figures analyzed were for June, 2012, a month during which Google Maps was the top travel app and website and accounted for 78% of all mobile time spent on travel-related content. Google clocked up a total of 78 million app users during June, 2012, and another 17 million on the mobile web.
- Ads on YouTube grow but TV ads considered more effective
- Online preferred shopping environment of affluent consumers
- Top 3 tips to improve webrooming abilities
- BlueKai rolls out 3rd party data options
- Reports: Social, Cloud offering assist to small businesses
- App Store hits 50 billion milestone, Google Play not far behind
- IBM: Mother's Day shopping goes mobile
- Service industry occupations not safe from technology
Featured White Papers
- Improving ROI with Marketing Optimization
The requirement to juggle multiple constraints and considerations is an inescapable part of the marketing equation. Marketing executives need a...
- Top 10 Online Brand Protection Strategies for 2013
Whether stealing web traffic, pirating digital content or selling counterfeit goods, online scammers are sure to continue highjacking brands for...
- Get Serious About Email Marketing
Small business success starts with a solid email foundation. If you're a small business with limited resources, you need an...
- The Essential Guide to Internet Marketing
Learn the latest tips and tricks to online marketing by downloading the latest edition of our most popular ebook! Whether...
- Smarter Service: The Contact Center of the Future
Today's consumers expect better service, better products, and better communication with retailers. Without a single view of the customer across...
- 9 Reasons Why Your Email Campaign Is Failing
When you analyze your email marketing program, what is your email data telling you? Measuring your data can be difficult,...
- Deliver Extraordinary Customer Experience
Competition is fierce in today's economy and customers know this. They can easily search the Internet to find companies that...