News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
TradeMob: 40% of mobile clicks fraudulent
Attention mobile brands: if you're seeing a large number of click-thrus but few conversions, you're not alone. And the trend likely won't change soon. According to new data from TradeMob about 40% of mobile clicks are either fraudulent or accidental - making them virtually useless to brands.
Through the study researchers found 22% of mobile clicks accidents while 18% were fraudulent - made by botnets, server-side fraud or client-side fraud. They studied more than 6 million clicks on ten of the top ad networks to come to their conclusions.
Of the accidental clicks, TradeMob found the company reports most could be curtailed by better ad placement or verification. And, on the positive side, accidental clicks have diminished with the advent of tablet and larger-screened mobile devices.
"We are seeing fewer accidental clicks today due to increased device screen size and different user behavior," said Ravi Kamran, Founder and CEO, TradeMob. "Still, more than one in five clicks is purely accidental, which can be prevented by proper ad placement and ad verification techniques."
On the negative side, it appears fraudsters are making adjustments to the mobile space quickly - so click fraud will likely continue to be a problem.
"Mobile app marketers are demanding a greater level of accountability when it comes to ad spend," said Kamran. "There's a problem when only 60 cents of every dollar are actually being put to work."
According to the TradeMob report more than half of fraudulent clicks are being made from botnets or client-side fraud; 44% of fraudulent clicks were found to be server-side.
European based TradeMob helps mobile clients optimize mobile goals and budgets while assisting in global promotion of mobile apps.
- Print catalogs continue to drive sales in Australia
- Study: Shoppers more focused on the end-game
- Adchemy release pulls keywords from branded content
- RocketLawyer: SMBs looking forward to 2014
- Survey: Marketers facing disconnect with content creation
- Nearly half of consumers believe mobile marketing messages are irrelevant, useless
- Bazaarvoice points the way to authentic reviews
- Top 3 design tips for mobile email
Featured White Papers
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...