News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Study: Travelers leaning on mobile for content
When it comes to traveling smarter, consumers are...well, traveling smarter. Or at least with smart-devices to lead the way. According to new research from comScore about 40% of smartphone users logged on to travel-related content from their phone in July 2012.
Forget AAA and local travel agents. When savvy vacation shoppers are looking for hot destinations, good deals and destination information they're not always going local. They're going online - and many are going farther than the desktop. They're going mobile.
The hottest properties for smartphone owners , according to comScore included the TripAdvisor Media Group, Expedia and Southwest Airlines. Women, interestingly enough, were consuming the most content for the month while men were more likely to be found on airline-specific sites like Southwest or Delta.
As for how these people were grabbing content, it was a fairly even split with 53% of the time spent with apps and 47% via browser. Nielsen disagrees a bit - their study found Android and iOS users were more likely to access mobile apps for travel information, to the tune of 95% of traffic coming from apps.
For travel brands, these reports seem to indicate a growing movement into the mobile space for travel customers. If people planning for a vacation or even a business trip are going to mobile for information and deals, it makes sense for the brands to be mobilly available with said content. Destination hotspots, where to stay deals or side trip type content could be added to the going rates to engage consumers past the typical hotel/flight information.
Local businesses could get in on the mobile content act, as well, offering deals to travelers planning stays within their cities.
- Top 3 design tips for mobile email
- Cyber Monday: Hottest ever revenue day
- Long? Short? Which headline length generates the most click-throughs?
- comScore: U.S. smartphone ownership reaches all-time high
- UK retail websites struggled to cope with Cyber Monday traffic peaks
- Twitter ups ad relevancy with Tailored Audiences
- Research reveals poor uptake and awareness of NFC payments
- Facebook far and away most frequently used mobile app
Featured White Papers
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...