News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Shift to multi-screening demands consistent marketing, branding across devices
A major new study from Google highlights the importance of a consistent marketing message across multiple channels, from television to mobile to email, to complement the increase in multi-screening.
Multiple device ownership is changing consumers' media consumption habits, and marketers need to keep up with this behavior.
Recent research by Google reveals that 90% of consumers now use a multitude of devices to search for and consume information and media.
Two main types of multi-screening behavior were observed by Google in its study of over one thousand consumers in the cities of Austin, Boston and Los Angeles.
- Sequential Screening: Moving between multiple devices to complete a single goal.
"Completing a task like booking a flight online, or managing personal finances, doesn't just happen in one sitting on one device. In fact, 98% of sequential screeners move between devices in the same day to complete a task."
- Simultaneous Screening: Using several devices at the same time.
"With simultaneous usage, we found that TV no longer commands our undivided attention, with 77% of viewers watching TV with another device in hand. In many cases people search on their devices, inspired by what they see on TV."
Of paramount importance is that marketers maintain brand and message consistency across all devices. And, with many online activities now beginning with smartphone use, a mobile optimized presence is a must.
Search was also seen as a "critical connector" as consumers move between devices, used as a way of continuing a task on another device. This means marketers should also focus on keyword parity across all screens.
- comScore: Desktop spending up 13% YoY
- Report: More money to focus on branded content
- Ads on YouTube grow but TV ads considered more effective
- Online preferred shopping environment of affluent consumers
- Top 3 tips to improve webrooming abilities
- BlueKai rolls out 3rd party data options
- Reports: Social, Cloud offering assist to small businesses
- App Store hits 50 billion milestone, Google Play not far behind
Featured White Papers
- Improving ROI with Marketing Optimization
The requirement to juggle multiple constraints and considerations is an inescapable part of the marketing equation. Marketing executives need a...
- Top 10 Online Brand Protection Strategies for 2013
Whether stealing web traffic, pirating digital content or selling counterfeit goods, online scammers are sure to continue highjacking brands for...
- Get Serious About Email Marketing
Small business success starts with a solid email foundation. If you're a small business with limited resources, you need an...
- The Essential Guide to Internet Marketing
Learn the latest tips and tricks to online marketing by downloading the latest edition of our most popular ebook! Whether...
- Smarter Service: The Contact Center of the Future
Today's consumers expect better service, better products, and better communication with retailers. Without a single view of the customer across...
- 9 Reasons Why Your Email Campaign Is Failing
When you analyze your email marketing program, what is your email data telling you? Measuring your data can be difficult,...
- Deliver Extraordinary Customer Experience
Competition is fierce in today's economy and customers know this. They can easily search the Internet to find companies that...