News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Retailers: Expert advises what to do now for the holiday rush
The calendar may still read September, but savvy online marketers are already preparing for the 2012 holiday season - which will kick off Thanksgiving Weekend in the US. Based on the summer months, Christmas will come early for some; according to data from Responsys July email volume was up 18% YoY - which holiday messaging already appearing. Read on for our expert's tips on what to do now to get ready for the rush.
Responsys has released their 2012 Retail Email Guide to the Holiday Season and among their tips are for brands to prepare for the holidays now and begin holiday geared messaging early. In 2011 most (75%) major retailers sent at least one promotional email on Black Friday in the US with email rates on Thanksgiving Day up 60%. Even though the holiday shopping season was extended - retailers can now take Christmas orders online as late as December 21 and still deliver for Christmas Morning - marketers were still contacting their customers early.
That early/late trend is likely to continue in the 2012 holiday season. What can you do now to prepare?
Responsys offers these tips for online brands:
• Mobile changes the game. As consumers increasingly view their email on mobile devices and tablets, new opportunities emerge for retailers throughout the holiday season. Mobile access allows people to check their email for holiday deals on days that are traditionally sluggish for sales--like travel days (e.g. the day before Thanksgiving) and family oriented days (Thanksgiving and Christmas). It also allows shoppers to access email deals while they are on the move, shopping at brick-and-mortar stores.
• Free shipping for all! Free shipping is now the norm for the holiday season. Last year, 55% of major online retailers offered free shipping all holiday season long. Expect that number to climb this year as shoppers come to expect nothing less than free shipping around the holidays.
- Study: Retailers aren't ready for next-gen tech
- Expert Advice: Invest in Near Field Communications
- Top struggles for email marketers
- Campaigner suggests marketers reset campaigns not just clocks
- Brands: How to use in-memory tech to increase personalization
- Study finds mobile payments high on consumers' minds
- Does Facebook really pose a threat to YouTube?
- In a digital age Out of Home advertising memorable and complementary
Featured White Papers
- CRM and Marketing Automation Integration for the Ultimate ROI
The number of companies using marketing automation will increase by 50% by 2015, according to research from Sirius Decisions. But...
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...