News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
QR code scanning rises 218% in Spain
Across Europe, as smartphone adoption increases, more consumers than ever are using their mobile devices to interact with QR Codes, according to recent figures from comScore.
QR codes are becoming more commonplace in magazines and outdoor advertising across Europe. Within the EU5 (France, Germany, Italy, Spain and the United Kingdom), more than 17 million smartphone users scanned a QR code in the second quarter of 2012, according to comScore. That's a healthy year-on-year growth of 96%.
The growth in some countries is huge.
In Spain, 16% of the population scanned a QR code in Q2 2012, up a whopping 218% in twelve months. In the same period, the number of smartphone owners scanning QR codes in Germany rose 128% and, in Italy, 75%.
The country with the highest percentage of smartphone users scanning QR codes is Germany with 18.6%, higher than the EU5 average of 14.1%.
QR codes represent a "new and exciting" opportunity for marketers, said Hesham Al-Jehani, European mobile product manager at comScore.
"By offering more detailed product information or related content, QR codes bring consumer vital information in their consideration of a particular product or service," added Al-Jehani. "With smartphones now in the majority of consumers' pockets, access to the sort of information they might get on their computer when researching a product online can help retailers improve their conversion in-store."
- App Store hits 50 billion milestone, Google Play not far behind
- IBM: Mother's Day shopping goes mobile
- Service industry occupations not safe from technology
- How webrooming is taking over ecommerce
- Report: Strong digital presence key to success
- Report: SMBs falling behind in tech
- Mobile the boost loyalty programs need
- British Land: UK retail stores must adapt or die
Featured White Papers
- Top 10 Online Brand Protection Strategies for 2013
Whether stealing web traffic, pirating digital content or selling counterfeit goods, online scammers are sure to continue highjacking brands for...
- Get Serious About Email Marketing
Small business success starts with a solid email foundation. If you're a small business with limited resources, you need an...
- The Essential Guide to Internet Marketing
Learn the latest tips and tricks to online marketing by downloading the latest edition of our most popular ebook! Whether...
- Smarter Service: The Contact Center of the Future
Today's consumers expect better service, better products, and better communication with retailers. Without a single view of the customer across...
- 9 Reasons Why Your Email Campaign Is Failing
When you analyze your email marketing program, what is your email data telling you? Measuring your data can be difficult,...
- Deliver Extraordinary Customer Experience
Competition is fierce in today's economy and customers know this. They can easily search the Internet to find companies that...