News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Pew: The importance of social for politics
As the 2012 Presidential Election looms in the US, more politically-minded pages are going up around the social sphere. There are pages for Republicans, Democrats, specific candidates, 'haters' of candidates or parties...the list goes on. While those behind the social pages and profiles insist they are important - are they?
According to data from Pew Research politically minded social network profiles or pages are 'modestly influential' to actual political activities. According to the report:
• 36% of social networkers say these sites are 'very important' in keeping up with political news
• 26% say they are 'very important in recruiting efforts
• 25% say political pages are 'very important' is discussing issues and sharing political views
How are social networks impacting the election? About one-quarter of social networkers say they've become more active in a political activity after discussing it or reading posts within social networks while 16% say these sites have changed their views about an issue because of a social page.
As for which social discussions are getting the most play, after the Democratic National Convention last week, General Sentiment reports discussions about jobs ranked highest in the social sphere. At the same time, chatter about President Obama grew during the convention; on the down side, the President's 'sentiment' score fell by about 26% after his acceptance speech.
As for the Republican party, presidential nominee Mitt Romney has his social sentiment rise through September 7, when it took a sharp nosedive. Meanwhile, Vice President Joe Biden (D) saw his online sentiment increase by more than 300% while that of Vice Presidential candidate Paul Ryan (R) saw a sentiment nosedive of more than 36%.
- Consumers, like many marketers, don't know what native advertising is
- Travel: Paid search spend continues downward trend
- Why developers need to test apps
- Unruly: SocNetters buzz about getting buzzed
- Survey: Friends, not search, pushing mobile video
- Release leaves power of the brand with the brand
- Pinterest improves product engagement with Rich Pins
- ONS data reveals the U.K.'s 7.1 million disconnected
Featured White Papers
- The Promise of Marketing Operations Management
How can marketers keep pace with the ever-expanding volume of campaigns, customized offers, contact channels and product claims? More than...
- 54 Examples of Brilliant Homepage Design
For any given company, the homepage is its virtual front door - and face to the world. If a new...
- Learn How to Increase Traffic, Leads and Sales By Reaching More Than 11 million people on Pinterest
Pinterest isn't just another social media network. What appears to be the fastest-growing social media site ever has become a...
- Improving ROI with Marketing Optimization
The requirement to juggle multiple constraints and considerations is an inescapable part of the marketing equation. Marketing executives need a...
- Top 10 Online Brand Protection Strategies for 2013
Whether stealing web traffic, pirating digital content or selling counterfeit goods, online scammers are sure to continue highjacking brands for...
- Get Serious About Email Marketing
Small business success starts with a solid email foundation. If you're a small business with limited resources, you need an...