News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Pew: The importance of social for politics
As the 2012 Presidential Election looms in the US, more politically-minded pages are going up around the social sphere. There are pages for Republicans, Democrats, specific candidates, 'haters' of candidates or parties...the list goes on. While those behind the social pages and profiles insist they are important - are they?
According to data from Pew Research politically minded social network profiles or pages are 'modestly influential' to actual political activities. According to the report:
• 36% of social networkers say these sites are 'very important' in keeping up with political news
• 26% say they are 'very important in recruiting efforts
• 25% say political pages are 'very important' is discussing issues and sharing political views
How are social networks impacting the election? About one-quarter of social networkers say they've become more active in a political activity after discussing it or reading posts within social networks while 16% say these sites have changed their views about an issue because of a social page.
As for which social discussions are getting the most play, after the Democratic National Convention last week, General Sentiment reports discussions about jobs ranked highest in the social sphere. At the same time, chatter about President Obama grew during the convention; on the down side, the President's 'sentiment' score fell by about 26% after his acceptance speech.
As for the Republican party, presidential nominee Mitt Romney has his social sentiment rise through September 7, when it took a sharp nosedive. Meanwhile, Vice President Joe Biden (D) saw his online sentiment increase by more than 300% while that of Vice Presidential candidate Paul Ryan (R) saw a sentiment nosedive of more than 36%.
- Study: Mobile key for online grocery buys
- Job Seekers: How to get the next job
- Top 3 tips to improve travel loyalty programs
- New Realeyes' research links emotional response to sales impact
- Coalition for Better Ads releases new guidance to curb consumer annoyance with ads
- Instagram's focus on business tools attracts SMB advertisers
- Traditional external agency model failing to meet marketers' needs
- Few marketers intend to invest in marketing technology in 2017
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...