News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Over half of email marketers fail to segment email lists
It's hard to believe but, according to a new study from email intelligence provider Return Path, over half of email marketers fail to segment customers and continue to fire off the same email communication to all in their database.
Scary, isn't it? Even in today's data-fuelled marketing environment 55% of 300 senior marketing executives surveyed by Return Path and The Relevancy Group were unable to perform any customer segmentation.
It gets worse. Four out of ten of the marketers surveyed had no idea of their inbox placement rate.
The study, released to coincide with Return Path's launch of a new suite of email products, concludes that there is an "innate need for email intelligence, a unique combination of email data, analytics and insight, and found that email marketers lack the capabilities to compare campaign effectiveness against competitor benchmarks and to even understand their own performance after they hit send."
Other findings from the study include:
- Only 23% of email marketers analyze competitors' email marketing campaign performance, despite research indicating a 25% uplift in revenues by doing so.
- 65% of email marketers say access to the right data is a challenge, although almost a third does not know where to access that data for campaign evaluation purposes.
"Knowledge truly is power, and having access to analytics tools that gauge email effectiveness enables companies to build deeper relationships with subscribers and, ultimately, drive greater sales," says David Daniels, CEO and co-founder of The Relevancy Group.
- Twitter ups ad relevancy with Tailored Audiences
- Research reveals poor uptake and awareness of NFC payments
- Facebook far and away most frequently used mobile app
- The best practices for mobile brands in 2014
- Forecast: Big data to push SMBs into 2014
- Report: TV ads pushing engagement, intent
- Report: Online wide open for CPG brands
- Webrooming, Showrooming pushing shopper engagement
Featured White Papers
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...