News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Over half of email marketers fail to segment email lists
It's hard to believe but, according to a new study from email intelligence provider Return Path, over half of email marketers fail to segment customers and continue to fire off the same email communication to all in their database.
Scary, isn't it? Even in today's data-fuelled marketing environment 55% of 300 senior marketing executives surveyed by Return Path and The Relevancy Group were unable to perform any customer segmentation.
It gets worse. Four out of ten of the marketers surveyed had no idea of their inbox placement rate.
The study, released to coincide with Return Path's launch of a new suite of email products, concludes that there is an "innate need for email intelligence, a unique combination of email data, analytics and insight, and found that email marketers lack the capabilities to compare campaign effectiveness against competitor benchmarks and to even understand their own performance after they hit send."
Other findings from the study include:
- Only 23% of email marketers analyze competitors' email marketing campaign performance, despite research indicating a 25% uplift in revenues by doing so.
- 65% of email marketers say access to the right data is a challenge, although almost a third does not know where to access that data for campaign evaluation purposes.
"Knowledge truly is power, and having access to analytics tools that gauge email effectiveness enables companies to build deeper relationships with subscribers and, ultimately, drive greater sales," says David Daniels, CEO and co-founder of The Relevancy Group.
- What Twitter's roll-out of Periscope ads means for digital brands
- Ad Roundup: Tools to connect shoppers
- Top 3 tips for B2B brands to harness purchasing power
- Channel 4 video-on-demand ads address viewer by name
- IAB: 2016 Internet ad spend breaks records
- Marketers say their role is to collect, not analyze, customer data
- Two-thirds of US, UK consumers worried about how brands use personal data
- Study: Marketers overwhelmed with data
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...