News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Over half of email marketers fail to segment email lists
It's hard to believe but, according to a new study from email intelligence provider Return Path, over half of email marketers fail to segment customers and continue to fire off the same email communication to all in their database.
Scary, isn't it? Even in today's data-fuelled marketing environment 55% of 300 senior marketing executives surveyed by Return Path and The Relevancy Group were unable to perform any customer segmentation.
It gets worse. Four out of ten of the marketers surveyed had no idea of their inbox placement rate.
The study, released to coincide with Return Path's launch of a new suite of email products, concludes that there is an "innate need for email intelligence, a unique combination of email data, analytics and insight, and found that email marketers lack the capabilities to compare campaign effectiveness against competitor benchmarks and to even understand their own performance after they hit send."
Other findings from the study include:
- Only 23% of email marketers analyze competitors' email marketing campaign performance, despite research indicating a 25% uplift in revenues by doing so.
- 65% of email marketers say access to the right data is a challenge, although almost a third does not know where to access that data for campaign evaluation purposes.
"Knowledge truly is power, and having access to analytics tools that gauge email effectiveness enables companies to build deeper relationships with subscribers and, ultimately, drive greater sales," says David Daniels, CEO and co-founder of The Relevancy Group.
- UK businesses failing to consistently and effectively employ social for customer support
- How to tell if interactions are successful or not
- Report: In case of emergency, try cell
- Retailers failing to maximize use of social shopping websites
- Home pages of retail websites failing to load fast enough
- U.K. ecommerce websites improve delivery options to tap overseas customers
- Forecast: More to invest in multi-screen ads
- Forrester: Mobile social users more engaged, share more
Featured White Papers
- 10 Best Practices for a Successful Digital Asset Management Implementation
Rich media and digital content are pervasive in organizations and continue to grow exponentially. Every aspect of the business world...
- Why The Smartest Marketers Have External Writing Teams
A successful content strategy includes many moving parts: content planning, content creation, content promotion, measuring your content's performance and optimizing...