News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Over half of email marketers fail to segment email lists
It's hard to believe but, according to a new study from email intelligence provider Return Path, over half of email marketers fail to segment customers and continue to fire off the same email communication to all in their database.
Scary, isn't it? Even in today's data-fuelled marketing environment 55% of 300 senior marketing executives surveyed by Return Path and The Relevancy Group were unable to perform any customer segmentation.
It gets worse. Four out of ten of the marketers surveyed had no idea of their inbox placement rate.
The study, released to coincide with Return Path's launch of a new suite of email products, concludes that there is an "innate need for email intelligence, a unique combination of email data, analytics and insight, and found that email marketers lack the capabilities to compare campaign effectiveness against competitor benchmarks and to even understand their own performance after they hit send."
Other findings from the study include:
- Only 23% of email marketers analyze competitors' email marketing campaign performance, despite research indicating a 25% uplift in revenues by doing so.
- 65% of email marketers say access to the right data is a challenge, although almost a third does not know where to access that data for campaign evaluation purposes.
"Knowledge truly is power, and having access to analytics tools that gauge email effectiveness enables companies to build deeper relationships with subscribers and, ultimately, drive greater sales," says David Daniels, CEO and co-founder of The Relevancy Group.
- How predictive tech may simplify engagement
- Survey: Mobiles look to devices before, during, after shopping
- Study: Live TV still trumps time-shifted
- Brands: How to make the most of ad placement
- Avoidance a big reason for blocking calls
- App Annie: App stores' revenue gap closing
- Marin study reveals the effect of integrating search and social campaigns
- Reports: Ad spend up on Bing, consumers still heavy on Google
Featured White Papers
- Marketing Automation Simplified : The Small Guide to Big Ideas
Marketers are increasingly enhancing their understanding of how data can fuel the delivery of meaningful interactions. This access to vast...
- Is your web site creating sales tax risk?
Answer 3 questions to learn....
- How to Properly Structure Your Social Program for Success
Most big brands structure their social program around business goals, however, sometimes there is a disconnect between the goals and...
- Email Device Report 2014: How Are Your Customers Viewing Email?
The Q4 2013 findings reveal that consumers are rapidly moving from desktops to mobile devices when it comes to opening...