News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
How iPhone 5 may change mobile marketplace
With the release of the latest iPhone marketers are looking for more ways to make their mobile dollars last. The good thing - some experts predict acquiring loyal mobile consumers will be cheaper over the coming weeks as a large number of mobile consumers upgrade or switch phones, get acquainted with the app store and start downloading.
According to Millennial Media, Apple remains the leading manufacturer on their platform with about a one-third share of users. Samsung is the closest competitor with a 22% share of users on the platform. As for ads, Millennial Media breaks it down like this:
• 74% of platform impressions are from smartphones
• Android holds a 46% share of impressions, Apple has a 34% share
• 95% of tablet impressions are brought in via WiFi
• iPad, Galaxy Tab and Kindle Fire are the leading tablets on the platform
According to a forecast from iSupply, the iPhone 5 arrival should goose Apple's mobile sales through the end of the year. In Q1 Apple saw 35 million iPhone shipments, in Q2 a decrease to 26 million. On a global scale, Apple is expected to help general smartphone shipments reach more than 346 million.
"Apple's smartphone shipments typically are weak during the quarter preceding the launch of a new iPhone model," said Wayne Lam, senior analyst, wireless communications, for IHS. "Buyers historically have delayed their purchases until the newest model is available. Then they rush out to get the latest and greatest version once it's being sold, leading to a spike in demand. IHS predicts the same pattern will occur with the iPhone 5."
As for how the iPhone 5 might impact marketers, Fiksu predicts at least 10 million people will purchase the iPhone 5, which could push another surge in app downloads. When iPhone 4S debuted last year app downloads increased by nearly 30%. Over the next month, researchers predict marketers will be able to obtain loyal users at lower costs - just before the holidays.
- Study: Shoppers more focused on the end-game
- Adchemy release pulls keywords from branded content
- RocketLawyer: SMBs looking forward to 2014
- Survey: Marketers facing disconnect with content creation
- Nearly half of consumers believe mobile marketing messages are irrelevant, useless
- Bazaarvoice points the way to authentic reviews
- Top 3 design tips for mobile email
- Cyber Monday: Hottest ever revenue day
Featured White Papers
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...