News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Fly.com: Americans want in-flight WiFi
When airfare search engine Fly.com asked U.S travelers if they wanted the ability to connect to the Internet at 30,000ft, the vast majority said yes, indicating a higher tolerance for in-flight mobile use than previously expected.
Five hundred U.S. travelers took part in Fly.com's survey, of which 80% said they would like the option to connect to the Internet during a flight. That's significantly more than the 5% of U.K. travelers who, in a European version of Fly.com's survey, wanted Internet in-flight.
Of the 500 U.S. travelers:
65% - Think it is important that airlines offer Internet access on flights;
36% - Would take advantage of in-flight Internet access to find information and deals relating to their destination;
26% - Would use in-flight Internet to catch up on emails.
However, almost half (49%) said they don't expect to pay extra to use their Internet connected devices and 27% would pay no more than $5.
On the topic of mobile use during flights, travelers weren't quite as enthusiastic with 38% believing that allowing mobile phone use on flights would mean putting up with the annoyance of people talking too loudly.
Furthermore, many (59%) don't understand the "flight mode" setting on their mobile device and 46% don't know why they are asked to turn off their devices.
Many of the major U.S. airlines have now begun to equip their planes with new in-flight WiFi service. According to research and consulting firm In-Stat, around 8% of U.S. airline passengers use the service, up from 4% at the end of 2010.
In-Stat estimates that, by the end of 2012, 10% of passengers will use in-flight WiFi and that, in 2011, $155 million in charges for in-flight Internet services was collected.
- Nearly half of consumers believe mobile marketing messages are irrelevant, useless
- Bazaarvoice points the way to authentic reviews
- Top 3 design tips for mobile email
- Cyber Monday: Hottest ever revenue day
- Long? Short? Which headline length generates the most click-throughs?
- comScore: U.S. smartphone ownership reaches all-time high
- UK retail websites struggled to cope with Cyber Monday traffic peaks
- Twitter ups ad relevancy with Tailored Audiences
Featured White Papers
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...