News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Fly.com: Americans want in-flight WiFi
When airfare search engine Fly.com asked U.S travelers if they wanted the ability to connect to the Internet at 30,000ft, the vast majority said yes, indicating a higher tolerance for in-flight mobile use than previously expected.
Five hundred U.S. travelers took part in Fly.com's survey, of which 80% said they would like the option to connect to the Internet during a flight. That's significantly more than the 5% of U.K. travelers who, in a European version of Fly.com's survey, wanted Internet in-flight.
Of the 500 U.S. travelers:
65% - Think it is important that airlines offer Internet access on flights;
36% - Would take advantage of in-flight Internet access to find information and deals relating to their destination;
26% - Would use in-flight Internet to catch up on emails.
However, almost half (49%) said they don't expect to pay extra to use their Internet connected devices and 27% would pay no more than $5.
On the topic of mobile use during flights, travelers weren't quite as enthusiastic with 38% believing that allowing mobile phone use on flights would mean putting up with the annoyance of people talking too loudly.
Furthermore, many (59%) don't understand the "flight mode" setting on their mobile device and 46% don't know why they are asked to turn off their devices.
Many of the major U.S. airlines have now begun to equip their planes with new in-flight WiFi service. According to research and consulting firm In-Stat, around 8% of U.S. airline passengers use the service, up from 4% at the end of 2010.
In-Stat estimates that, by the end of 2012, 10% of passengers will use in-flight WiFi and that, in 2011, $155 million in charges for in-flight Internet services was collected.
- AdRoundup: Video, mobile and social offerings increase connectivity
- UK: February floods lead to rise in ecommerce sales
- Top 3 tips to create lasting brand buzz
- Expert warns bitcoin has drawbacks for SMBs
- Twitter testing click-to-call
- UK: Mobile ad spend to outstrip newspaper ad spend in 2014
- The most shared video clips depend on region
- Top tax tips that will protect your information
Featured White Papers
- Choosing the Best Web CMS for Customer Experience Management
In this paper, learn how to choose the right CMS for you and your business from the eyes of a...
- Mobile Marketing: The Time is Now
Consumers are now more comfortable using retailers' mobile applications that can help them find specific products and brands, or just...
- The Definitive Guide to Marketing Automation
Why is marketing automation so hot right now? This guide will show you what marketing automation is and how it...
- The Inbound Website: Getting Found with SEO & Social
Extend your inbound marketing strategy to your entire website with actionable tips and best practices that help you increase visitors,...
- 17 Ways to Build a Great Brand Today
This white paper highlights 17 developments that are influencing brand-building today and what great brands are doing about them....
- How to Stop Webpage Speed from Killing Your Marketing
Your website visitors have high expectations about how quickly your web site should load on their desktop and mobile devices....