News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Facebook launches gift-giving service for online and mobile users
Many believe that e-commerce on social networks is a non-starter, but Facebook appears to have faith that it could gain traction as it launches a new gift-giving service.
Users of Facebook are already given prompts to wish friends a 'Happy Birthday', congratulate them on an event, such as a birth, or celebrate an anniversary. Users in the U.S. will now also be given the option to buy a gift.
Facebook Gifts works online and on mobile, although currently only on Android.
Links to the service are included in notifications of friends' celebrations. Users can choose from a variety of gifts offered by 100 retail partners including major players such as Starbucks and 1-800-Flowers.
The option also exists for recipients to choose specifics such as color of clothing, flavor of sweets, or even to exchange a gift, before it is dispatched.
No delivery address is entered by the user. Instead, the recipient, who is notified instantly of the gift, provides such details. This is a great security check from Facebook, and a blow for stalkers, as some gifts may be sent to friends whose address is not known to the user.
Recipients may 'virtually unwrap' the gift on Facebook before it is delivered to their door.
Facebook's revenue will come from taking a cut of the sales, although no details have been released by the social network as to how much that cut will be.
And, of course, once Facebook has a user's credit card information it is kept on file, making subsequent gift-giving quick and easy.
This will be an interesting initiative for retailers to keep an eye on, particularly as the service works well on mobile devices.
- Olfactory device for mobile phones not to be sniffed at
- Report reveals impact of slow load times on brand perception
- Print catalogs continue to drive sales in Australia
- Study: Shoppers more focused on the end-game
- Adchemy release pulls keywords from branded content
- RocketLawyer: SMBs looking forward to 2014
- Survey: Marketers facing disconnect with content creation
- Nearly half of consumers believe mobile marketing messages are irrelevant, useless
Featured White Papers
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...