News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Facebook launches gift-giving service for online and mobile users
Many believe that e-commerce on social networks is a non-starter, but Facebook appears to have faith that it could gain traction as it launches a new gift-giving service.
Users of Facebook are already given prompts to wish friends a 'Happy Birthday', congratulate them on an event, such as a birth, or celebrate an anniversary. Users in the U.S. will now also be given the option to buy a gift.
Facebook Gifts works online and on mobile, although currently only on Android.
Links to the service are included in notifications of friends' celebrations. Users can choose from a variety of gifts offered by 100 retail partners including major players such as Starbucks and 1-800-Flowers.
The option also exists for recipients to choose specifics such as color of clothing, flavor of sweets, or even to exchange a gift, before it is dispatched.
No delivery address is entered by the user. Instead, the recipient, who is notified instantly of the gift, provides such details. This is a great security check from Facebook, and a blow for stalkers, as some gifts may be sent to friends whose address is not known to the user.
Recipients may 'virtually unwrap' the gift on Facebook before it is delivered to their door.
Facebook's revenue will come from taking a cut of the sales, although no details have been released by the social network as to how much that cut will be.
And, of course, once Facebook has a user's credit card information it is kept on file, making subsequent gift-giving quick and easy.
This will be an interesting initiative for retailers to keep an eye on, particularly as the service works well on mobile devices.
- Two-thirds of ad execs Google prospective employees
- 61% of brand content on Snapchat is video
- Survey: Trust influences more consumers to share information
- Expert: Travel next up for programmatic direct
- Expert: How to reduce involuntary churn
- New service alerts marketers when competitors air new TV ads
- 170% rise in ad requests containing location data
- Brexit, Trump leave marketers skittish about targeting
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...