News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Dislike of data-sharing drives over half of mobile users to ditch apps
Some mobile apps such as maps and games collect a user's personal details or even track their location. More than half of Americans who use such apps have thought twice about using one once they learned just how much information they were required to share.
A new study from the Pew Internet and American Life Project reveals that 54% of app users in the U.S. have decided against installing an app once they became aware of how much information they would need to share in order to use it.
Thirty percent had removed an app after finding out its data-sharing requirements.
The national survey of 2,254 U.S. adults found no difference in behavior between Android and Apple users with both equally likely to remove or not install an app for privacy reasons.
When asked about their personal data management on mobile devices it became evident that users are taking steps to protect their data. Just over 40% back up photos, contacts and other files in case their device is stolen, 32% clear their browser and search history and 19% turn off location-tracking features so businesses and other individuals can not track their whereabouts.
Earlier this year a study from think tank Future of Privacy Forum revealed that significantly more mobile app developers are now providing privacy policies for their apps and for how users' data will be used.
- What to expect on the video front in 2014
- How to create a solid A/B testing strategy
- Reports: Brands need strategy for mobile success
- Tapjoy reveals mobile habits of traveling consumers
- Product reviews on Facebook more trusted, influential than on other social media
- Mobile privacy and brand safety remain top challenges for UK media agencies
- Dispop proves the value of custom display ad creative
- Top 5 elements brands should test
Featured White Papers
- 5 Tips for B2B Marketing Data Domination
You work hard to collect your marketing data. But you can collect so much that sometimes it's hard to make...
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...