News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Dislike of data-sharing drives over half of mobile users to ditch apps
Some mobile apps such as maps and games collect a user's personal details or even track their location. More than half of Americans who use such apps have thought twice about using one once they learned just how much information they were required to share.
A new study from the Pew Internet and American Life Project reveals that 54% of app users in the U.S. have decided against installing an app once they became aware of how much information they would need to share in order to use it.
Thirty percent had removed an app after finding out its data-sharing requirements.
The national survey of 2,254 U.S. adults found no difference in behavior between Android and Apple users with both equally likely to remove or not install an app for privacy reasons.
When asked about their personal data management on mobile devices it became evident that users are taking steps to protect their data. Just over 40% back up photos, contacts and other files in case their device is stolen, 32% clear their browser and search history and 19% turn off location-tracking features so businesses and other individuals can not track their whereabouts.
Earlier this year a study from think tank Future of Privacy Forum revealed that significantly more mobile app developers are now providing privacy policies for their apps and for how users' data will be used.
- App Store hits 50 billion milestone, Google Play not far behind
- IBM: Mother's Day shopping goes mobile
- Service industry occupations not safe from technology
- How webrooming is taking over ecommerce
- Report: Strong digital presence key to success
- Report: SMBs falling behind in tech
- Mobile the boost loyalty programs need
- British Land: UK retail stores must adapt or die
Featured White Papers
- Top 10 Online Brand Protection Strategies for 2013
Whether stealing web traffic, pirating digital content or selling counterfeit goods, online scammers are sure to continue highjacking brands for...
- Get Serious About Email Marketing
Small business success starts with a solid email foundation. If you're a small business with limited resources, you need an...
- The Essential Guide to Internet Marketing
Learn the latest tips and tricks to online marketing by downloading the latest edition of our most popular ebook! Whether...
- Smarter Service: The Contact Center of the Future
Today's consumers expect better service, better products, and better communication with retailers. Without a single view of the customer across...
- 9 Reasons Why Your Email Campaign Is Failing
When you analyze your email marketing program, what is your email data telling you? Measuring your data can be difficult,...
- Deliver Extraordinary Customer Experience
Competition is fierce in today's economy and customers know this. They can easily search the Internet to find companies that...