News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Dislike of data-sharing drives over half of mobile users to ditch apps
Some mobile apps such as maps and games collect a user's personal details or even track their location. More than half of Americans who use such apps have thought twice about using one once they learned just how much information they were required to share.
A new study from the Pew Internet and American Life Project reveals that 54% of app users in the U.S. have decided against installing an app once they became aware of how much information they would need to share in order to use it.
Thirty percent had removed an app after finding out its data-sharing requirements.
The national survey of 2,254 U.S. adults found no difference in behavior between Android and Apple users with both equally likely to remove or not install an app for privacy reasons.
When asked about their personal data management on mobile devices it became evident that users are taking steps to protect their data. Just over 40% back up photos, contacts and other files in case their device is stolen, 32% clear their browser and search history and 19% turn off location-tracking features so businesses and other individuals can not track their whereabouts.
Earlier this year a study from think tank Future of Privacy Forum revealed that significantly more mobile app developers are now providing privacy policies for their apps and for how users' data will be used.
- Value of price comparison providers revealed
- Commuters highly engaged and active mobile audience for brands, retailers
- We2 to connect NYC's retailers and consumers via 'social WiFi'
- Consumers rate email as most relevant and accurate of all channels
- Research: Silver surfers feel undervalued by retailers
- Global PC sales fall for sixth consecutive quarter
- Releases evaluate content, make file sharing simpler
- Responsys: Mobile pushing conversions
Featured White Papers
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...
- 10 Tips to Make your Facebook Content Newsfeed-Worthy
There's only one surefire way to reach the heart of your Facebook Fans: the newsfeed. And for brands, that means...
- Benefits of Web Self-Service
Customers want to solve their issues quickly and easily on the Web. Here we provide 3 recommended capabilities to invest...
- Google Hummingbird - The Marketer's Guide
Hummingbird is the most dramatic change that the Google search algorithm has seen in well over a decade....
- Worksheet: Are You Ready for Marketing Automation?
Use this worksheet to determine if your company is ready to use marketing automation. Regardless of your score, there's good...
- Wiley's Modern Marketing Book Bundle - A Free 163 Page Sampler
This Wiley e-book bundle includes selected materials from 6 recently published titles in Wiley's expansive catalog of titles. The material...
- 5 Recurring Revenue Growth Secrets
Your existing customers are the lifeblood of your business and the revenue that they provide is your most profitable. Why...