News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Australian youngsters to receive lessons in netiquette
Australia's Prime Minister has asked that school curriculums in the country include lessons about social media abuse and trolling in an attempt to stamp out online bullying.
Julia Gillard has approached the Australian Curriculum, Assessment and Reporting Authority with a view to expanding existing anti-bullying classes to include online forms of intimidation.
The move comes hot on the heels of a Daily Telegraphy (Sydney) #StopTheTrolls campaign, supported by several Australian celebrities who have themselves been victims of online abuse.
"Whether it's physical violence or online intimidation, we need to ensure that our kids learn the lesson early in life that this conduct can cause great harm and have real consequences," said Gillard. "We have seen the damage that can occur as a result of relentless online bullying. Through the national curriculum, Australia can make sure that every student in every school knows this behavior is not on."
Earlier this year the British government proposed major changes to the Defamation Bill which would give the victims of Internet trolling the power to identify the perpetrator.
However, the bill will not cover comments that are offensive, unpleasant or constitute harassment, breach of confidence or an invasion of privacy - categories into which the bulk of trolls' comments fall.
Perhaps, by educating young Internet users, the increasing rage and verbal violence on the likes of Twitter can be reduced as more people are aware of the consequences, both personal and legal.
- Nearly half of consumers believe mobile marketing messages are irrelevant, useless
- Bazaarvoice points the way to authentic reviews
- Top 3 design tips for mobile email
- Cyber Monday: Hottest ever revenue day
- Long? Short? Which headline length generates the most click-throughs?
- comScore: U.S. smartphone ownership reaches all-time high
- UK retail websites struggled to cope with Cyber Monday traffic peaks
- Twitter ups ad relevancy with Tailored Audiences
Featured White Papers
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...