News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Australian youngsters to receive lessons in netiquette
Australia's Prime Minister has asked that school curriculums in the country include lessons about social media abuse and trolling in an attempt to stamp out online bullying.
Julia Gillard has approached the Australian Curriculum, Assessment and Reporting Authority with a view to expanding existing anti-bullying classes to include online forms of intimidation.
The move comes hot on the heels of a Daily Telegraphy (Sydney) #StopTheTrolls campaign, supported by several Australian celebrities who have themselves been victims of online abuse.
"Whether it's physical violence or online intimidation, we need to ensure that our kids learn the lesson early in life that this conduct can cause great harm and have real consequences," said Gillard. "We have seen the damage that can occur as a result of relentless online bullying. Through the national curriculum, Australia can make sure that every student in every school knows this behavior is not on."
Earlier this year the British government proposed major changes to the Defamation Bill which would give the victims of Internet trolling the power to identify the perpetrator.
However, the bill will not cover comments that are offensive, unpleasant or constitute harassment, breach of confidence or an invasion of privacy - categories into which the bulk of trolls' comments fall.
Perhaps, by educating young Internet users, the increasing rage and verbal violence on the likes of Twitter can be reduced as more people are aware of the consequences, both personal and legal.
- Consumers, like many marketers, don't know what native advertising is
- Travel: Paid search spend continues downward trend
- Why developers need to test apps
- Unruly: SocNetters buzz about getting buzzed
- Survey: Friends, not search, pushing mobile video
- Release leaves power of the brand with the brand
- Pinterest improves product engagement with Rich Pins
- ONS data reveals the U.K.'s 7.1 million disconnected
Featured White Papers
- The Promise of Marketing Operations Management
How can marketers keep pace with the ever-expanding volume of campaigns, customized offers, contact channels and product claims? More than...
- 54 Examples of Brilliant Homepage Design
For any given company, the homepage is its virtual front door - and face to the world. If a new...
- Learn How to Increase Traffic, Leads and Sales By Reaching More Than 11 million people on Pinterest
Pinterest isn't just another social media network. What appears to be the fastest-growing social media site ever has become a...
- Improving ROI with Marketing Optimization
The requirement to juggle multiple constraints and considerations is an inescapable part of the marketing equation. Marketing executives need a...
- Top 10 Online Brand Protection Strategies for 2013
Whether stealing web traffic, pirating digital content or selling counterfeit goods, online scammers are sure to continue highjacking brands for...
- Get Serious About Email Marketing
Small business success starts with a solid email foundation. If you're a small business with limited resources, you need an...