News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Airline ups the ante with free mile-high Wi-Fi
Today's air travelers want Wi-Fi and airlines are luring passengers with the promise of mile-high browsing. While some passengers would be prepared to pay a small fee, and airlines debate how much to charge, one airline has thrown down the gauntlet with the offer of free in-flight Wi-Fi.
The contents of a leaked JetBlue memo have today been confirmed by the airline. From the start of 2013, aircraft in the company's fleet equipped with in-flight Wi-Fi will offer the service for free.
Recent research from airline search engine Fly.com found that the majority (65%) of U.S. travelers think it is important that airlines off in-flight Internet access. However, almost half (49%) said they don't expect to pay extra to use their Internet connected devices and 27% would pay no more than $5.
So, that means JetBlue will become a serious option for those wanting to stay connected during air travel.
But, the free offer may not be available for long.
JetBlue, who will use ViaSat to provide the Wi-Fi service, will only provide the service for free until it become available on 30 aircraft. After that, email and browsing will remain free but streaming of films will attract a fee.
The rather exuberant, leaked memo that was first reported by The Verge earlier this week also reveals that JetBlue's Wi-Fi will be faster than its competitors.
"Our Wi-Fi will be lightning fast. In a series of tests, ViaSat's staff was able to load 10 web pages through our satellite service in an average of 1 minute, 18 seconds! The second-fastest service, commonly deployed by our competitors, took as long as 8 minutes, 42 seconds!"
- Consumers, like many marketers, don't know what native advertising is
- Travel: Paid search spend continues downward trend
- Why developers need to test apps
- Unruly: SocNetters buzz about getting buzzed
- Survey: Friends, not search, pushing mobile video
- Release leaves power of the brand with the brand
- Pinterest improves product engagement with Rich Pins
- ONS data reveals the U.K.'s 7.1 million disconnected
Featured White Papers
- The Promise of Marketing Operations Management
How can marketers keep pace with the ever-expanding volume of campaigns, customized offers, contact channels and product claims? More than...
- 54 Examples of Brilliant Homepage Design
For any given company, the homepage is its virtual front door - and face to the world. If a new...
- Learn How to Increase Traffic, Leads and Sales By Reaching More Than 11 million people on Pinterest
Pinterest isn't just another social media network. What appears to be the fastest-growing social media site ever has become a...
- Improving ROI with Marketing Optimization
The requirement to juggle multiple constraints and considerations is an inescapable part of the marketing equation. Marketing executives need a...
- Top 10 Online Brand Protection Strategies for 2013
Whether stealing web traffic, pirating digital content or selling counterfeit goods, online scammers are sure to continue highjacking brands for...
- Get Serious About Email Marketing
Small business success starts with a solid email foundation. If you're a small business with limited resources, you need an...