News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Advertising: Men are cheap on Facebook
Women make up the bulk of Facebook users, but men are cheaper to target with ads on the social network, according to a new study by marketing software company Kenshoo and Resolution Media.
Over the course of a year, Kenshoo and Resolution media analysed 65 billion Facebook ad impressions and 20 million clicks.
They found that targeting men on Facebook is a lot cheaper than targeting women. On average, ads targeting men cost less in terms of cost-per-thousand impressions ($0.16 male / $0.20 female), as well as cost-per-click ($0.51 male / $0.68 female).
The reason for the disparity, says Viji Davis, Resolution Media's VP of Marketing, is that men have a less focused approach to their use of Facebook. While women concentrate on nurturing relationships and 'following an agenda' while on the social network, men are less absorbed and more likely to notice advertising.
"While this may seem counterintuitive given the laws of supply and demand in an auction marketplace, our advertisers capitalized on this trend and spent 53% of Facebook advertising budgets reaching men," said Alan Osetek, president of Resolution Media. "As it turned out, ads targeting men performed better and thus warranted the increased investment. Men delivered better Exposure Rates and click through rates than women, increasing their value for marketers."
- Twitter ups ad relevancy with Tailored Audiences
- Research reveals poor uptake and awareness of NFC payments
- Facebook far and away most frequently used mobile app
- The best practices for mobile brands in 2014
- Forecast: Big data to push SMBs into 2014
- Report: TV ads pushing engagement, intent
- Report: Online wide open for CPG brands
- Webrooming, Showrooming pushing shopper engagement
Featured White Papers
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...