News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Advertising: Men are cheap on Facebook
Women make up the bulk of Facebook users, but men are cheaper to target with ads on the social network, according to a new study by marketing software company Kenshoo and Resolution Media.
Over the course of a year, Kenshoo and Resolution media analysed 65 billion Facebook ad impressions and 20 million clicks.
They found that targeting men on Facebook is a lot cheaper than targeting women. On average, ads targeting men cost less in terms of cost-per-thousand impressions ($0.16 male / $0.20 female), as well as cost-per-click ($0.51 male / $0.68 female).
The reason for the disparity, says Viji Davis, Resolution Media's VP of Marketing, is that men have a less focused approach to their use of Facebook. While women concentrate on nurturing relationships and 'following an agenda' while on the social network, men are less absorbed and more likely to notice advertising.
"While this may seem counterintuitive given the laws of supply and demand in an auction marketplace, our advertisers capitalized on this trend and spent 53% of Facebook advertising budgets reaching men," said Alan Osetek, president of Resolution Media. "As it turned out, ads targeting men performed better and thus warranted the increased investment. Men delivered better Exposure Rates and click through rates than women, increasing their value for marketers."
- Pinterest improves product engagement with Rich Pins
- ONS data reveals the U.K.'s 7.1 million disconnected
- Twitter launches lead generation tool
- uTest's Apphance shows 10 times more sessions
- New social network to connection non-corp types
- Elance: Remote hiring sees 60% jump
- Engajer integrates to LinkedIn
- JiWire: Mobile engaging travel consumers
Featured White Papers
- Learn How to Increase Traffic, Leads and Sales By Reaching More Than 11 million people on Pinterest
Pinterest isn't just another social media network. What appears to be the fastest-growing social media site ever has become a...
- Improving ROI with Marketing Optimization
The requirement to juggle multiple constraints and considerations is an inescapable part of the marketing equation. Marketing executives need a...
- Top 10 Online Brand Protection Strategies for 2013
Whether stealing web traffic, pirating digital content or selling counterfeit goods, online scammers are sure to continue highjacking brands for...
- Get Serious About Email Marketing
Small business success starts with a solid email foundation. If you're a small business with limited resources, you need an...