News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
91% of men have scanned a barcode while shopping
New research into the mobile consumer buying habits of men and women reveals that, not only do men shop more via mobile than women, but they also make more use of barcode scanners.
The survey of 1,100 men and women, by online market research and technology development firm uSamp, found that more men than women make purchases via mobile - 45% vs. 34%.
Not only are men out-shopping women in categories such as consumer electronics (27% vs. 8%) but also in those such as food and drink (13% vs. 8%) and digital content (30% vs. 20%).
"We recognize that mobile consumerism is on the rise, and it's important for companies to learn where, why, and how their audiences are making their buying decisions," said Matt Dusig, co-founder and CEO, uSamp. "Our mobile platform is taking the guessing out of mobile consumers' behavior, and we're gaining first-hand experience of what is driving their actions."
uSamp's survey found a surprisingly high number of mobile consumers, both men and women, scan barcodes as part of the purchase process. Again, men were found to use this mobile function more than women (91% vs. 85%).
Places where mobile consumers scanned barcodes were:
- Electronic store: 27% male vs. 12% female;
- Convenience store: 7% male vs. 3% female;
- Cosmetic store: 6% female vs. 2% male.
- Driving website traffic revealed as retailers' biggest challenge
- Revenues from tablet games to triple in next five years
- Marketers must react to changing consumer behavior caused by technology
- Facebook launches Event ads to appear in Newsfeeds
- UK: Online Christmas shopping to exceed £13 billion
- Top 3 retail tips to personalize across channels
- Expert Advice: Use in-store techniques to sell online
- Twitter helps agency campaigns take off with Flight School
Featured White Papers
- Expert Panel: Brand Strategists Answer Top 5 Social Questions
During SXSW Interactive, we gathered a team of five leading brand strategists to answer the five most pressing social questions...
- The Truth About Cloud Security
"Security" is the number one issue holding business leaders back from the cloud. But does the reality match the perception?...
- 5 Ways to Personalize Beyond the Subject Line
Many marketers are still using batch and blast tactics for their emails and are often limited in their personalization efforts...