News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
91% of men have scanned a barcode while shopping
New research into the mobile consumer buying habits of men and women reveals that, not only do men shop more via mobile than women, but they also make more use of barcode scanners.
The survey of 1,100 men and women, by online market research and technology development firm uSamp, found that more men than women make purchases via mobile - 45% vs. 34%.
Not only are men out-shopping women in categories such as consumer electronics (27% vs. 8%) but also in those such as food and drink (13% vs. 8%) and digital content (30% vs. 20%).
"We recognize that mobile consumerism is on the rise, and it's important for companies to learn where, why, and how their audiences are making their buying decisions," said Matt Dusig, co-founder and CEO, uSamp. "Our mobile platform is taking the guessing out of mobile consumers' behavior, and we're gaining first-hand experience of what is driving their actions."
uSamp's survey found a surprisingly high number of mobile consumers, both men and women, scan barcodes as part of the purchase process. Again, men were found to use this mobile function more than women (91% vs. 85%).
Places where mobile consumers scanned barcodes were:
- Electronic store: 27% male vs. 12% female;
- Convenience store: 7% male vs. 3% female;
- Cosmetic store: 6% female vs. 2% male.
- Netflix dominates U.S. peak Internet traffic
- Omni-channel shopping putting pressure on stores to raise shopper engagement
- Big spending forecast for UK Black Friday
- Do you know why online shoppers abandon carts?
- Travel study reveals extent of travelers' frustration with poorly performing apps, websites
- Top 3 tips for effective native ad campaigns
- Top 3 email tips for the 2014 holidays
- Study: 3/4 will use phones for holiday shopping
Featured White Papers
- Definitive Guide to Marketing Metrics and Analytics
Download this 70-page, all-encompassing guide to learn the right metrics for understanding and interpreting marketing results, why measuring marketing programs...
- From Average to Elite: 7 Secrets of Today's Top Marketers
Marketing is more chaotic than ever. Pleasing multiple stakeholders, juggling random request inputs and collecting meaningful data from project teams...
- Marketing Attribution in the New World
We all know that consumers generally do not convert after seeing just one advertisement. How do we decide which campaign...