News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
91% of men have scanned a barcode while shopping
New research into the mobile consumer buying habits of men and women reveals that, not only do men shop more via mobile than women, but they also make more use of barcode scanners.
The survey of 1,100 men and women, by online market research and technology development firm uSamp, found that more men than women make purchases via mobile - 45% vs. 34%.
Not only are men out-shopping women in categories such as consumer electronics (27% vs. 8%) but also in those such as food and drink (13% vs. 8%) and digital content (30% vs. 20%).
"We recognize that mobile consumerism is on the rise, and it's important for companies to learn where, why, and how their audiences are making their buying decisions," said Matt Dusig, co-founder and CEO, uSamp. "Our mobile platform is taking the guessing out of mobile consumers' behavior, and we're gaining first-hand experience of what is driving their actions."
uSamp's survey found a surprisingly high number of mobile consumers, both men and women, scan barcodes as part of the purchase process. Again, men were found to use this mobile function more than women (91% vs. 85%).
Places where mobile consumers scanned barcodes were:
- Electronic store: 27% male vs. 12% female;
- Convenience store: 7% male vs. 3% female;
- Cosmetic store: 6% female vs. 2% male.
- Brands: How Chat-As-A-Service can work for you
- Survey: Computers are the connection of choice for sports fans
- Expert: The link between returns and cart abandons
- Mobile Roundup: App releases focus on connection, analysis
- Amazon's latest delivery location - the trunk of your car
- How mobile will change in 2015
- Ad Roundup: Partnerships to deepen brands' reach
- Survey IDs SEO platforms most brand friendly
Featured White Papers
- Design Matters: How To Create The Optimal Mobile Shopping Experience
Over two-thirds of US consumers under 50 say they would be happy if shopping evolved into a mobile-only experience, recent...
- Tasty Tips From Marketing's Master Chefs
The art and science of effective marketing and demand generation is like a great recipe- Marketing master chefs turn traditional...