News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
91% of men have scanned a barcode while shopping
New research into the mobile consumer buying habits of men and women reveals that, not only do men shop more via mobile than women, but they also make more use of barcode scanners.
The survey of 1,100 men and women, by online market research and technology development firm uSamp, found that more men than women make purchases via mobile - 45% vs. 34%.
Not only are men out-shopping women in categories such as consumer electronics (27% vs. 8%) but also in those such as food and drink (13% vs. 8%) and digital content (30% vs. 20%).
"We recognize that mobile consumerism is on the rise, and it's important for companies to learn where, why, and how their audiences are making their buying decisions," said Matt Dusig, co-founder and CEO, uSamp. "Our mobile platform is taking the guessing out of mobile consumers' behavior, and we're gaining first-hand experience of what is driving their actions."
uSamp's survey found a surprisingly high number of mobile consumers, both men and women, scan barcodes as part of the purchase process. Again, men were found to use this mobile function more than women (91% vs. 85%).
Places where mobile consumers scanned barcodes were:
- Electronic store: 27% male vs. 12% female;
- Convenience store: 7% male vs. 3% female;
- Cosmetic store: 6% female vs. 2% male.
- FTC's new 'merchandise rule' to come into effect before Christmas
- Brands: Why content needs better optimization
- Ad Roundup: Partnerships and acquisitions to improve platforms
- Consumers prefer SMS to apps for brand communications
- Physical stores still popular with young fashion shoppers
- Britain has more female gamers than male
- Permission-based email marketers still finding inbox placement hard work
- Study: Mobile driving travel plans
Featured White Papers
- 6 Ways to Boost Holiday Sales & Fuel Year-round Growth
Just as the shopping seasons guide demand in many categories, they shape the conversation around these categories as well. How...
- No Longer a Necessary Evil: How Modern CRM Empowers Sales
CRM has long been seen as a must-have sales tool. However, much of the value of traditional CRM accrues to...