News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
21% of Americans spend more on smartphone service plans than groceries
Today the world is talking about the new iPhone 5, but here's a fact that will have you wondering about the affordability of such devices. A new survey from CouponCabin.com reveals that one in five Americans have a larger mobile service plan bill for their smartphone than the cost of their groceries every month.
Keeping connected appears to be more of a priority for some than keeping food on the table. CouponCabin.com's survey found that almost 60% of Americans pay more than $100 for mobile service plans each month. That figure is more for 13% who rack up more than $200 or more each month.
Just over one in five (21%) spend more on their mobile service plan each month than they do groceries.
In fact, there are a few other basics that Americans spend less on than they do their mobile service plan. A third (33%) spend less on basic utilities such as water, gas and electric than they do their mobile phone, as well as cable TV (57%) and the Internet (71%).
"Mobile phones are ingrained in our everyday lives, but their high costs can do damage to a monthly budget," said Jackie Warrick, President and Chief Savings Officer at CouponCabin.com. "Many mobile phone owners are now revisiting their plans and looking at ways to cut back."
- Twitter ups ad relevancy with Tailored Audiences
- Research reveals poor uptake and awareness of NFC payments
- Facebook far and away most frequently used mobile app
- The best practices for mobile brands in 2014
- Forecast: Big data to push SMBs into 2014
- Report: TV ads pushing engagement, intent
- Report: Online wide open for CPG brands
- Webrooming, Showrooming pushing shopper engagement
Featured White Papers
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...