News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
$20.7 billion spent mobile shopping, $5 billion via tablet
New figures released by Javelin Strategy and Research reveal the extent of the mobile shopping trend. Meanwhile, in the UK, 71% of tablet owners are considering making a purchase via their device, reports eDigitalResearch.
Based on several online surveys of mobile device owners, Javelin's study reveals that mobile shopping has become a $20 billion business.
More than $20.7 billion was spent using a mobile device over the past year. Five billion of that was spent on tablets. The larger devices have long been reported as being easier to shop from than smaller smartphones. Javelin's research also found that those using a tablet to shop spent, on average, $10 more per purchase.
Consequently, shopping via tablet devices will become more popular, doubling within the next three years.
Instead of relying purely on mobile-optimized websites, Javelin recommends that retailers should invest in better mobile apps.
"Apps engage consumers to make purchases," said Mary Monahan, executive VP and research director at Javelin. "With the upcoming holidays, retailers must prepare for the mobile shopping trend or lose out on the opportunity to convert browsers into buyers."
In the UK, the latest eCustomerServiceIndex from eDigitalResearch and the IMRG found that 41% of smartphone owners would consider using their device to make a purchase this Christmas, up 20% from last year.
Proving again that tablets are better for mobile shopping, 71% of UK owners said they will consider using them for shopping this Christmas.
- Accenture: Execs have tech, need talent to make sense of data
- Study: More people working on home To-Dos from work
- Study: Mobile users will wait
- SendGrid launches email service
- IAB UK: Fashion retailers perform best in mobile marketing
- Mobile offers, coupons big draw for Dads
- Cardiff University beats prestigious Oxford in online presence stakes
- Report: SMBs missing out on mobile commerce
Featured White Papers
- 8 Key Plays For Sales Success
Pull ahead of your competition by learning best practices for incorporating these new technologies into your daily sales & marketing...
- How to Drive More Traffic Without Increasing Budget
Counterfeiters are adept at mimicking top brands' digital marketing strategies by building pay per click (PPC) campaigns that exploit both...
- Explain What You Do: How a simple explainer video increased online conversion by 20%
In this case study we examine the explainer video for Inbenta, a natural language processing service operating in a highly...
- 7 Reasons To Consider Responsive Design For Your Companys Next Generation Website
In this white paper, learn the 7 reasons to consider responsive design for your company's next generation website. With the...
- Forrester Report: Digital Customer Experience Trends to Watch 2013
Digital touchpoints support an increasingly large percentage of the overall customer experience. 2012 saw the emergence of several important digital...
- Improving ROI with Marketing Optimization
The requirement to juggle multiple constraints and considerations is an inescapable part of the marketing equation. Marketing executives need a...
- Beyond Last Touch: Understanding Campaign Effectiveness
Understanding what drives customers to take action is critical to your advertising investments. However, with a flood of available metrics...