News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
UK: Rainy July boosts online sales
July retail figures from both the British Retail Consortium and the Office for National Statistics reveal strong year-on-year growth in online sales in the UK.
The British Retail Consortium (BRC) reports that online sales in July rose by 15.6% year-on-year, thanks in part to the month's inclement weather. Last year saw a rise of 9.6% on the previous year.
"Online retailers have enjoyed their biggest boost since Christmas," said Stephen Robertson, director general of the BRC. "July 2011 did give us a relatively weak comparison, but an increase of 15.6% is strong nonetheless."
However, the report warned that online sales were "still a very small proportion of total UK retail sales," accounting for just 9% of overall sales, despite the positive growth.
The Office for National Statistics (ONS) also reported figures that highlight the growth in ecommerce. They show that online retail sales, excluding automotive fuel, grew 14.2% year-on-year and account for 8.5% of all retail spending.
According to the ONS, the average online spend was estimated to be $793 million in July 2012, which means that the proportion of retail sales excluding automotive fuel made via the Internet was 8.5%.
- App Store hits 50 billion milestone, Google Play not far behind
- IBM: Mother's Day shopping goes mobile
- Service industry occupations not safe from technology
- How webrooming is taking over ecommerce
- Report: Strong digital presence key to success
- Report: SMBs falling behind in tech
- Mobile the boost loyalty programs need
- British Land: UK retail stores must adapt or die
Featured White Papers
- Top 10 Online Brand Protection Strategies for 2013
Whether stealing web traffic, pirating digital content or selling counterfeit goods, online scammers are sure to continue highjacking brands for...
- Get Serious About Email Marketing
Small business success starts with a solid email foundation. If you're a small business with limited resources, you need an...
- The Essential Guide to Internet Marketing
Learn the latest tips and tricks to online marketing by downloading the latest edition of our most popular ebook! Whether...
- Smarter Service: The Contact Center of the Future
Today's consumers expect better service, better products, and better communication with retailers. Without a single view of the customer across...
- 9 Reasons Why Your Email Campaign Is Failing
When you analyze your email marketing program, what is your email data telling you? Measuring your data can be difficult,...
- Deliver Extraordinary Customer Experience
Competition is fierce in today's economy and customers know this. They can easily search the Internet to find companies that...