News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
UK: Rainy July boosts online sales
July retail figures from both the British Retail Consortium and the Office for National Statistics reveal strong year-on-year growth in online sales in the UK.
The British Retail Consortium (BRC) reports that online sales in July rose by 15.6% year-on-year, thanks in part to the month's inclement weather. Last year saw a rise of 9.6% on the previous year.
"Online retailers have enjoyed their biggest boost since Christmas," said Stephen Robertson, director general of the BRC. "July 2011 did give us a relatively weak comparison, but an increase of 15.6% is strong nonetheless."
However, the report warned that online sales were "still a very small proportion of total UK retail sales," accounting for just 9% of overall sales, despite the positive growth.
The Office for National Statistics (ONS) also reported figures that highlight the growth in ecommerce. They show that online retail sales, excluding automotive fuel, grew 14.2% year-on-year and account for 8.5% of all retail spending.
According to the ONS, the average online spend was estimated to be $793 million in July 2012, which means that the proportion of retail sales excluding automotive fuel made via the Internet was 8.5%.
- Reports show personalization impacts brand advertising
- Why brands should mine holiday data for new year performance
- Study: Mobiles don't want to be interrupted
- Olfactory device for mobile phones not to be sniffed at
- Report reveals impact of slow load times on brand perception
- Print catalogs continue to drive sales in Australia
- Study: Shoppers more focused on the end-game
- Adchemy release pulls keywords from branded content
Featured White Papers
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...