News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Silverpop: Travel sector has worst email CTRs
In its 2012 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study, digital marketing technology provider Silverpop reveals that the travel sector is the worst-performing in terms of click-through rates.
Silverpop analyzed email messages sent by 1,124 brands during 2011 and the first quarter of 2012.
It found that, while open and click-through rates vary from sector to sector, travel had the worst click-through rates (2.3%) and third-worst open rates (13.2%) globally.
The best open rates were within the financial services (5.6%) and charity (52.2%) sectors. The best click-through rates were consumer software (8.6%) and media/publishing (8.9%) sectors.
According to Loren McDonald, VP of industry relations at Silverpop, "These findings confirm that response rates vary widely based on the approach that is taken and the content that is delivered".
"Companies that focus on helping recipients by providing behavior-based content that is meaningful, personal and relevant rather than just firing off one-size-fits-all promotions are far more likely to find themselves in the top 25%."
The full report can be downloaded here.
Earlier this month, research from Message Systems showed that email continues to be a valuable and preferred marketing channel.
Nearly all (97%) of the 100 marketing and email industry professionals surveyed cited email as the top marketing channel, followed by social with 70%.
Furthermore, almost two-thirds (63%) reported that email provides the best ROI, trouncing the number that cited social.
- Top 3 design tips for mobile email
- Cyber Monday: Hottest ever revenue day
- Long? Short? Which headline length generates the most click-throughs?
- comScore: U.S. smartphone ownership reaches all-time high
- UK retail websites struggled to cope with Cyber Monday traffic peaks
- Twitter ups ad relevancy with Tailored Audiences
- Research reveals poor uptake and awareness of NFC payments
- Facebook far and away most frequently used mobile app
Featured White Papers
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...