News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Report: Women outspending men on international mobile calling
Apps, browsing and game playing may be getting more headlines, but a new report from Rebtel and Harris Interactive shows calling still plays a major part in mobiles' lives. According to the report 20 million Americans are spending upwards of $38 billion each year on international mobile calls.
One in five, according to the Rebtel report, make international calls, spending more than $150 per month on the calls. Women are making the bulk of the calls, spending about $267 finds the report. Men spend about $85/month. Also, VoIP users are likely most adept at making international calls. The report found:
• 35% of US adults who have tablets/smartphones have a VoIP app installed
• 29% of Hispanic mobiles make international calls
• 36% of African-Americans make international calls
• Women are expected to pay more than men for international calls this year
"We see a tremendous difference in spending habits between those who have a VoIP app for calling and those who don't," said Andreas Bernstrom, CEO of Rebtel. "This is especially true across male and female tablet and smartphone owners. Over the next few years, as mVoIP calling apps become more widely adopted, we believe we will see a dramatic increase in smartphone and tablet owners turning to low cost calling apps as a way to reduce what they spend on international calls."
About 40% of men and women say they have a smartphone while only 8% of men (age 18-34) say they own a tablet. More than 20% of women (age 18-34) report owning a tablet.
- Twitter ups ad relevancy with Tailored Audiences
- Research reveals poor uptake and awareness of NFC payments
- Facebook far and away most frequently used mobile app
- The best practices for mobile brands in 2014
- Forecast: Big data to push SMBs into 2014
- Report: TV ads pushing engagement, intent
- Report: Online wide open for CPG brands
- Webrooming, Showrooming pushing shopper engagement
Featured White Papers
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...