News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Report: Standard ads turning of socnet users
Consumers aren't engaging with ads in the social sphere - or at least not in record numbers according to several reports. But, new data from MediaBrix sheds light on why: because in the social space users aren't looking for online-standard ads.
Researchers report that social networkers want not only different kinds of advertising in their networks but they want control of that advertising. For example, about one-third (37%) say they prefer pre-roll video ads, but 63% state their preference is to initiate the video ad or have it 'shown' in a natural break from the game or app they're using.
Similar results were found from mobile: 38% say they prefer pre-roll video, whereas 62% say they want control to either initiate the video ad or have to shown during 'natural breaks'.
"People are turned off by standard online advertising running in social and mobile environments," said Tamara Bousquet, executive media director, MEA Digital. "The social and mobile advertising solutions that are going to work are those that offer a unique and interactive experience for consumers and cater to a good user experience."
Other interesting findings include:
• 87% prefer free Facebook apps that are ad supported
• 83% prefer relevant advertising, appearing during 'natural breaks'
• 61% of smartphone users prefer free, ad supported apps
• 28% of Facebook app users prefer standard banner ads, 72% prefer immersive/interactive units
• 40% of smartphone users prefer standard banners, 60% prefer immersive/integrated units
"These survey findings confirm standard online banners and pre-roll video ads won't cut it in today's highly social and mobile world," said Ari Brandt, CEO, MediaBrix. "If social and mobile platforms aren't running interactive ads to achieve consumer engagement, then they are missing a huge opportunity to monetize with Fortune 500 marketing dollars."
- Tapjoy reveals mobile habits of traveling consumers
- Product reviews on Facebook more trusted, influential than on other social media
- Mobile privacy and brand safety remain top challenges for UK media agencies
- Dispop proves the value of custom display ad creative
- Top 5 elements brands should test
- How to reduce the bounce
- Poor in-store service pushes festive shoppers online
- Why brands need more than CPM based metrics
Featured White Papers
- 5 Tips for B2B Marketing Data Domination
You work hard to collect your marketing data. But you can collect so much that sometimes it's hard to make...
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...