News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Report: Standard ads turning of socnet users
Consumers aren't engaging with ads in the social sphere - or at least not in record numbers according to several reports. But, new data from MediaBrix sheds light on why: because in the social space users aren't looking for online-standard ads.
Researchers report that social networkers want not only different kinds of advertising in their networks but they want control of that advertising. For example, about one-third (37%) say they prefer pre-roll video ads, but 63% state their preference is to initiate the video ad or have it 'shown' in a natural break from the game or app they're using.
Similar results were found from mobile: 38% say they prefer pre-roll video, whereas 62% say they want control to either initiate the video ad or have to shown during 'natural breaks'.
"People are turned off by standard online advertising running in social and mobile environments," said Tamara Bousquet, executive media director, MEA Digital. "The social and mobile advertising solutions that are going to work are those that offer a unique and interactive experience for consumers and cater to a good user experience."
Other interesting findings include:
• 87% prefer free Facebook apps that are ad supported
• 83% prefer relevant advertising, appearing during 'natural breaks'
• 61% of smartphone users prefer free, ad supported apps
• 28% of Facebook app users prefer standard banner ads, 72% prefer immersive/interactive units
• 40% of smartphone users prefer standard banners, 60% prefer immersive/integrated units
"These survey findings confirm standard online banners and pre-roll video ads won't cut it in today's highly social and mobile world," said Ari Brandt, CEO, MediaBrix. "If social and mobile platforms aren't running interactive ads to achieve consumer engagement, then they are missing a huge opportunity to monetize with Fortune 500 marketing dollars."
- Elance: Remote hiring sees 60% jump
- Engajer integrates to LinkedIn
- JiWire: Mobile engaging travel consumers
- Drama, inane ramblings and parents turn teens off Facebook
- Survey: UK consumers re-think loyalty to brands
- PPA: Digital magazines boost demand for print editions
- Tapjoy: Ad engagements preferred by mobiles
- European silver surfers' media consumption moving online
Featured White Papers
- Learn How to Increase Traffic, Leads and Sales By Reaching More Than 11 million people on Pinterest
Pinterest isn't just another social media network. What appears to be the fastest-growing social media site ever has become a...
- Improving ROI with Marketing Optimization
The requirement to juggle multiple constraints and considerations is an inescapable part of the marketing equation. Marketing executives need a...
- Top 10 Online Brand Protection Strategies for 2013
Whether stealing web traffic, pirating digital content or selling counterfeit goods, online scammers are sure to continue highjacking brands for...
- Get Serious About Email Marketing
Small business success starts with a solid email foundation. If you're a small business with limited resources, you need an...