News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Poll: Socnet users would go to jail before giving up profile
New data out from Harris Interactive and MyLife indicates people are overwhelmed by the amount of social media out there. But they're also not willing to give up their social profiles. In fact, some traditionally hated tasks are child's play compared to giving up social networking.
According to the poll 40% of social networkers would rather wait on line at the DMV, read 'War & Peace', do their taxes or spend a night in jail rather than give up their social networks. This even though two-thirds are terrified they'll miss some new piece of news or information. How popular are socnets? More than one-third (38%) of 18-34 year olds log on to socnets as often or more than they check email.
Which sites are used for what tasks? Most use LinkedIn to network for jobs, YouTube and Twitter are used for getting information - but not interaction - while Facebook is used by those who want to have conversations and share with friends.
"Surprisingly enough, while everyone knows different social networks serve different purposes, the way people are using sites to consume or share content doesn't fall in line with what we might expect," said Jeff Tinsley, CEO, MyLife. "Facebook was passed by Foursquare as the primary place people share content and newcomer Pinterest edged out the social media giant when it came to the site where users equally share in both activities."
Because of the stress of missing out, though, many also report they want a simpler way to check in, share status updates and stay up to date on news, video clips and other information.
MyLife's new social dashboard could help these users stay abreast of their social networks by simplifying the check-in process. The MyLife Social Dashboard allows users to check multiple accounts, filter messages and add signature information as well as organize the different social networks.
- Report: Online wide open for CPG brands
- Webrooming, Showrooming pushing shopper engagement
- Reports show what worked and didn't over Thanksgiving
- Value of price comparison providers revealed
- Commuters highly engaged and active mobile audience for brands, retailers
- We2 to connect NYC's retailers and consumers via 'social WiFi'
- Consumers rate email as most relevant and accurate of all channels
- Research: Silver surfers feel undervalued by retailers
Featured White Papers
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...
- 10 Tips to Make your Facebook Content Newsfeed-Worthy
There's only one surefire way to reach the heart of your Facebook Fans: the newsfeed. And for brands, that means...
- Benefits of Web Self-Service
Customers want to solve their issues quickly and easily on the Web. Here we provide 3 recommended capabilities to invest...
- Google Hummingbird - The Marketer's Guide
Hummingbird is the most dramatic change that the Google search algorithm has seen in well over a decade....
- Worksheet: Are You Ready for Marketing Automation?
Use this worksheet to determine if your company is ready to use marketing automation. Regardless of your score, there's good...
- Wiley's Modern Marketing Book Bundle - A Free 163 Page Sampler
This Wiley e-book bundle includes selected materials from 6 recently published titles in Wiley's expansive catalog of titles. The material...
- 5 Recurring Revenue Growth Secrets
Your existing customers are the lifeblood of your business and the revenue that they provide is your most profitable. Why...