News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Poll: Socnet users would go to jail before giving up profile
New data out from Harris Interactive and MyLife indicates people are overwhelmed by the amount of social media out there. But they're also not willing to give up their social profiles. In fact, some traditionally hated tasks are child's play compared to giving up social networking.
According to the poll 40% of social networkers would rather wait on line at the DMV, read 'War & Peace', do their taxes or spend a night in jail rather than give up their social networks. This even though two-thirds are terrified they'll miss some new piece of news or information. How popular are socnets? More than one-third (38%) of 18-34 year olds log on to socnets as often or more than they check email.
Which sites are used for what tasks? Most use LinkedIn to network for jobs, YouTube and Twitter are used for getting information - but not interaction - while Facebook is used by those who want to have conversations and share with friends.
"Surprisingly enough, while everyone knows different social networks serve different purposes, the way people are using sites to consume or share content doesn't fall in line with what we might expect," said Jeff Tinsley, CEO, MyLife. "Facebook was passed by Foursquare as the primary place people share content and newcomer Pinterest edged out the social media giant when it came to the site where users equally share in both activities."
Because of the stress of missing out, though, many also report they want a simpler way to check in, share status updates and stay up to date on news, video clips and other information.
MyLife's new social dashboard could help these users stay abreast of their social networks by simplifying the check-in process. The MyLife Social Dashboard allows users to check multiple accounts, filter messages and add signature information as well as organize the different social networks.
- Nielsen reveals habits of second-screeners
- Why your coupons need mobile
- Jivox, vSplash push interactivity with platforms
- Younger B2B buyers' online purchase behavior ignored by suppliers
- Portrait of an affluent consumer
- U.S.: 41 billion online videos watched in May
- Accenture: Execs have tech, need talent to make sense of data
- Study: More people working on home To-Dos from work
Featured White Papers
- Transforming Brands into Media Outlets
Storytelling has been around forever, but businesses today need to capitalize on a variety of new tools to tell their...
- 8 Key Plays For Sales Success
Pull ahead of your competition by learning best practices for incorporating these new technologies into your daily sales & marketing...
- How to Drive More Traffic Without Increasing Budget
Counterfeiters are adept at mimicking top brands' digital marketing strategies by building pay per click (PPC) campaigns that exploit both...
- Explain What You Do: How a simple explainer video increased online conversion by 20%
In this case study we examine the explainer video for Inbenta, a natural language processing service operating in a highly...
- 7 Reasons To Consider Responsive Design For Your Companys Next Generation Website
In this white paper, learn the 7 reasons to consider responsive design for your company's next generation website. With the...
- Forrester Report: Digital Customer Experience Trends to Watch 2013
Digital touchpoints support an increasingly large percentage of the overall customer experience. 2012 saw the emergence of several important digital...
- Improving ROI with Marketing Optimization
The requirement to juggle multiple constraints and considerations is an inescapable part of the marketing equation. Marketing executives need a...