News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Pinterest gnawing away at time spent on other social media sites
Recent research from Compete discovered a 3% decrease in time spent by consumers on Facebook during June. The culprit, they say, is Pinterest.
According to Compete's latest Online Shopper Intelligence Survey, the new kid on the social networking block, Pinterest, is drawing consumers away from other social media sites.
One in 4 of the consumers surveyed said they now spent less time on other social media sites in favor of Pinterest. Furthermore, the image-sharing social network is attracting an audience of social networking virgins. Fifteen percent of Pinterest users said they had never before used social media.
"Marketers will likely need to evolve their digital strategies given the above finding that 39% of the market has changed their social networking behavior in some way due to Pinterest," writes Jason Caine on the Compete blog.
Food-related images are what most (57%) Pinterest users are interacting with, found Compete, followed by Home (40%) and Arts & Crafts (34%).
The survey also reveals that more men than women are making a purchase as a result of seeing something they like on Pinterest. Thirty-seven percent of men made a purchase compared to just 17% of women.
Recent research has shown that Pinterest isn't just about pretty pictures - it has been seen to outstrip Facebook when it comes to driving web traffic. When online boutique Bottica.com compared 50,000 visitors on Pinterest with the same number on Facebook they found more website transactions came from the social image-sharing network than Facebook - 10% vs. 7% - and average order values were higher.
- Reports show personalization impacts brand advertising
- Why brands should mine holiday data for new year performance
- Study: Mobiles don't want to be interrupted
- Olfactory device for mobile phones not to be sniffed at
- Report reveals impact of slow load times on brand perception
- Print catalogs continue to drive sales in Australia
- Study: Shoppers more focused on the end-game
- Adchemy release pulls keywords from branded content
Featured White Papers
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...