News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Mobile users too engrossed to notice traffic, train tracks and.. bears
Mobile phone users display a worrying lack of personal responsibility while texting and walking, according to new data released by the Consumer Product Safety Commission that reveals the number of incidents resulting from "distracted walking" has risen considerably.
In the last seven years, the number of people who met with an accident while using a mobile phone has risen a whopping 400%, according to the Consumer Product Safety Commission. Last year in the U.S. 1,150 people went to hospital because of messing with their mobile while on-the-go. An article from Yahoo says this figure is likely under-reported.
With the growing number and prolific use of mobile and other hand-held devices, people are far too engrossed in checking emails, social networks or texting to be watching where they are going.
Anyone who has walked along a busy street will no doubt have come across a transfixed mobile zombie, or had one crash into them. It's not hard to see why some places want to ban walking and texting, it's becoming as dangerous as driving and texting. Both New York and Arkansas considered regulating the use of hand-held devices and headphones whilst walking, but neither bill could be passed.
I wonder if Google Glasses will help lower the number of mobile accidents or whether a new generation of forward-looking, bespectacled zombies is on the horizon.
- The best practices for mobile brands in 2014
- Forecast: Big data to push SMBs into 2014
- Report: TV ads pushing engagement, intent
- Report: Online wide open for CPG brands
- Webrooming, Showrooming pushing shopper engagement
- Reports show what worked and didn't over Thanksgiving
- Value of price comparison providers revealed
- Commuters highly engaged and active mobile audience for brands, retailers
Featured White Papers
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...
- 10 Tips to Make your Facebook Content Newsfeed-Worthy
There's only one surefire way to reach the heart of your Facebook Fans: the newsfeed. And for brands, that means...
- Benefits of Web Self-Service
Customers want to solve their issues quickly and easily on the Web. Here we provide 3 recommended capabilities to invest...
- Google Hummingbird - The Marketer's Guide
Hummingbird is the most dramatic change that the Google search algorithm has seen in well over a decade....
- Worksheet: Are You Ready for Marketing Automation?
Use this worksheet to determine if your company is ready to use marketing automation. Regardless of your score, there's good...
- Wiley's Modern Marketing Book Bundle - A Free 163 Page Sampler
This Wiley e-book bundle includes selected materials from 6 recently published titles in Wiley's expansive catalog of titles. The material...
- 5 Recurring Revenue Growth Secrets
Your existing customers are the lifeblood of your business and the revenue that they provide is your most profitable. Why...