News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Mobile users too engrossed to notice traffic, train tracks and.. bears
Mobile phone users display a worrying lack of personal responsibility while texting and walking, according to new data released by the Consumer Product Safety Commission that reveals the number of incidents resulting from "distracted walking" has risen considerably.
In the last seven years, the number of people who met with an accident while using a mobile phone has risen a whopping 400%, according to the Consumer Product Safety Commission. Last year in the U.S. 1,150 people went to hospital because of messing with their mobile while on-the-go. An article from Yahoo says this figure is likely under-reported.
With the growing number and prolific use of mobile and other hand-held devices, people are far too engrossed in checking emails, social networks or texting to be watching where they are going.
Anyone who has walked along a busy street will no doubt have come across a transfixed mobile zombie, or had one crash into them. It's not hard to see why some places want to ban walking and texting, it's becoming as dangerous as driving and texting. Both New York and Arkansas considered regulating the use of hand-held devices and headphones whilst walking, but neither bill could be passed.
I wonder if Google Glasses will help lower the number of mobile accidents or whether a new generation of forward-looking, bespectacled zombies is on the horizon.
- European silver surfers' media consumption moving online
- Social sharing call-to-action in digital ads drives consumer interaction
- Google Play in-app sales rise 700% YoY
- comScore: Desktop spending up 13% YoY
- Report: More ad dollars to focus on branded content
- Ads on YouTube grow but TV ads considered more effective
- Online preferred shopping environment of affluent consumers
- Top 3 tips to improve webrooming abilities
Featured White Papers
- Learn How to Increase Traffic, Leads and Sales By Reaching More Than 11 million people on Pinterest
Pinterest isn't just another social media network. What appears to be the fastest-growing social media site ever has become a...
- Improving ROI with Marketing Optimization
The requirement to juggle multiple constraints and considerations is an inescapable part of the marketing equation. Marketing executives need a...
- Top 10 Online Brand Protection Strategies for 2013
Whether stealing web traffic, pirating digital content or selling counterfeit goods, online scammers are sure to continue highjacking brands for...
- Get Serious About Email Marketing
Small business success starts with a solid email foundation. If you're a small business with limited resources, you need an...