News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Mobile market breakdown shows Apple still holding on
New data out from Velti shows Android has pulled a bit of market share away from Apple; Android now accounts for about 42% of impressions in the mobile space. Apple's iPad still accounts for about 90% of all tablet impressions.
Amazon's Kindle Fire is the hottest Android-operating tablet with a 38% market share according to Velti. Don't count out Apple - with the first iPad now out in China, traffic saw an increase of about 150%. From a tablet perspective, comScore reports the Android/Apple divide is marked by the activities users want to perform via tablet.
iPads, for example, skew toward younger, richer, male audiences; Amazon's Kindle Fire skews female while both Kindle Fire and Android tablets appeal to households with slightly less expendable cash than iPad owners' households. When looking for a tablet, surprisingly, the same OS as a user's phone was not a big factor. Instead, tablet users are interested in the number of apps in the various app stores, the price and the brand of the device.
In Japan one in four people now own a smartphone according to data from comScore. Android makes up about 64% of the marketplace, followed by Apple at 32.3%.
Meanwhile, data from Forrester shows smartphone users are among the most interested in receiving promotional messages. Their data shows, compared to feature phone users, smartphone users are most open to promo messaging but that they are least interested in in-app or SMS messaging. That, of course, leaves email, and users report they'd like to receive messages at least weekly (65% of smartphone users).
Of those who have received promotional emails 32% (smartphone owners) have made a purchase. One caveat: although they're open to messaging, smartphone owners report they've gotten messages with bad links (28%), non-mobile optimized messaging (28%) and network connectivity issues (23%).
- Report: Desktops still lead online spending
- Video ad campaigns with subtitles outperform in brand awareness
- Two-thirds of ad execs Google prospective employees
- 61% of brand content on Snapchat is video
- Survey: Trust influences more consumers to share information
- Expert: Travel next up for programmatic direct
- Expert: How to reduce involuntary churn
- New service alerts marketers when competitors air new TV ads
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...