News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
How shoppers say they'll spend for school
The beginning of August in the US means back to school. One surprising trend in 2012 - more shoppers say they'll shop sales and generic brands this year than last year. While most back to school shoppers will lay out plenty of cash for clothing, accessories and supplies, the spend will likely be less because of those trends.
Some interesting findings from the report include:
• 42% of shoppers say they'll look for more generic brands in in 2012
• $331 is expected to be spent on clothing, accessories
• 76% will shop sales for back to school
• 38% say they'll spend more in 2012 than 2011 back to school
• 7% won't begin back to school shopping until school starts
"Students aren't the only ones who have learned a thing or two in the past year. Consumers are getting smarter not only about what they spend their money on, but how they spend it," said Marc Braunstein, co-founder and CEO of ShopAtHome.com. "People have learned that, by shopping intelligently, it is possible to spend less without really cutting back."
It isn't just bargain shoppers who are spending less. A new Gallup poll indicates even wealthier consumers continue spending less per day in 2012 than they spent before the 2008 Recession. In 2008 the average American spent $104/day. In 2012 $70/day is spent on average. A more dramatic drop is coming from wealthier spenders.
In May 2012 Americans earning $90,000/year spent more than $130/day. In June those same people spent about $116/day.
Overall consumers in the East are spending the least per day while those in the South and West spend the most.
- uTest's Apphance shows 10 times more sessions
- New social network to connection non-corp types
- Elance: Remote hiring sees 60% jump
- Engajer integrates to LinkedIn
- JiWire: Mobile engaging travel consumers
- Drama, inane ramblings and parents turn teens off Facebook
- Survey: UK consumers re-think loyalty to brands
- PPA: Digital magazines boost demand for print editions
Featured White Papers
- Learn How to Increase Traffic, Leads and Sales By Reaching More Than 11 million people on Pinterest
Pinterest isn't just another social media network. What appears to be the fastest-growing social media site ever has become a...
- Improving ROI with Marketing Optimization
The requirement to juggle multiple constraints and considerations is an inescapable part of the marketing equation. Marketing executives need a...
- Top 10 Online Brand Protection Strategies for 2013
Whether stealing web traffic, pirating digital content or selling counterfeit goods, online scammers are sure to continue highjacking brands for...
- Get Serious About Email Marketing
Small business success starts with a solid email foundation. If you're a small business with limited resources, you need an...