News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Facebook Likes do little to increase referral traffic and trust
Brands clamoring to get as many Facebook Fans as possible with the hope of increasing referral traffic to their websites may be wasting their time, according to new research from the data analysts at the BuzzFeed network.
The more Facebook Fans you have the more referral traffic wings its way to your website, right?
Wrong, say the folks at BuzzFeed.
According to them, "Facebook Fans do not equal Facebook traffic", in fact they found no correlation between the numbers of Fans a Facebook Page attracts and increased rates of referral traffic.
So what good is a Like? It's great for sharing content on the social network, but according to BuzzFeed it is certainly not a sign of loyalty or intention to purchase.
According to BuzzFeed's Matt Buchanan, writing on the company's blog, "the half-life of a like is very short: It doesn't mean so much for brands or sites general pages that last and last and last. But they mean a whole lot for oh-so-ephemeral pieces of content. Because that's what people actually share."
Another thing that Facebook Likes isn't indicative of is trust.
Last month About.com revealed that, for the vast majority of people, the number of Likes a Page has doesn't matter - it's the activity on that Page, or about it, which was more likely to increase trust.
In fact, Likes seem to have little significance. "It's hard to tell how old a Like is, or why people were liking them", stated one respondent to About.com's survey, while another said "I wish Likes would just go away. What's the value?"
- Study: Mobile users want home screen options
- What's a CDO and why does your brand need one?
- Report: In social the ladies rule the world
- Research reveals consumers juggle multiple devices throughout the day
- Getty Images makes millions of images free to embed
- Americans abandon purchases in-store after 8 minutes waiting in line
- Euclid: February sales less than lovely
- How BrightTag re-engaged shoppers
Featured White Papers
- Mobile Marketing: The Time is Now
Consumers are now more comfortable using retailers' mobile applications that can help them find specific products and brands, or just...
- The Definitive Guide to Marketing Automation
Why is marketing automation so hot right now? This guide will show you what marketing automation is and how it...
- The Inbound Website: Getting Found with SEO & Social
Extend your inbound marketing strategy to your entire website with actionable tips and best practices that help you increase visitors,...
- 17 Ways to Build a Great Brand Today
This white paper highlights 17 developments that are influencing brand-building today and what great brands are doing about them....
- How to Stop Webpage Speed from Killing Your Marketing
Your website visitors have high expectations about how quickly your web site should load on their desktop and mobile devices....