News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Facebook Likes do little to increase referral traffic and trust
Brands clamoring to get as many Facebook Fans as possible with the hope of increasing referral traffic to their websites may be wasting their time, according to new research from the data analysts at the BuzzFeed network.
The more Facebook Fans you have the more referral traffic wings its way to your website, right?
Wrong, say the folks at BuzzFeed.
According to them, "Facebook Fans do not equal Facebook traffic", in fact they found no correlation between the numbers of Fans a Facebook Page attracts and increased rates of referral traffic.
So what good is a Like? It's great for sharing content on the social network, but according to BuzzFeed it is certainly not a sign of loyalty or intention to purchase.
According to BuzzFeed's Matt Buchanan, writing on the company's blog, "the half-life of a like is very short: It doesn't mean so much for brands or sites general pages that last and last and last. But they mean a whole lot for oh-so-ephemeral pieces of content. Because that's what people actually share."
Another thing that Facebook Likes isn't indicative of is trust.
Last month About.com revealed that, for the vast majority of people, the number of Likes a Page has doesn't matter - it's the activity on that Page, or about it, which was more likely to increase trust.
In fact, Likes seem to have little significance. "It's hard to tell how old a Like is, or why people were liking them", stated one respondent to About.com's survey, while another said "I wish Likes would just go away. What's the value?"
- Mobile 'click injection' fraud forecast to become prevalent in 2017
- Less than half of consumers satisfied with retail app experience
- Study: Order struggles a problem for B2B
- Ad Roundup: Solution expansions, investments
- Expert: Consent, Identity key for businesses
- UK ad viewability levels stagnate
- Supermarkets, technology brands' marketing campaigns most effective
- Ecommerce Roundup: Shipping, experience key to satisfaction
Featured White Papers
- How to Deliver Content Your Employees Will Love to Share
Your employees are your greatest asset. It makes perfect sense that companies would double down on their own talent, empowering...