News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Facebook Likes do little to increase referral traffic and trust
Brands clamoring to get as many Facebook Fans as possible with the hope of increasing referral traffic to their websites may be wasting their time, according to new research from the data analysts at the BuzzFeed network.
The more Facebook Fans you have the more referral traffic wings its way to your website, right?
Wrong, say the folks at BuzzFeed.
According to them, "Facebook Fans do not equal Facebook traffic", in fact they found no correlation between the numbers of Fans a Facebook Page attracts and increased rates of referral traffic.
So what good is a Like? It's great for sharing content on the social network, but according to BuzzFeed it is certainly not a sign of loyalty or intention to purchase.
According to BuzzFeed's Matt Buchanan, writing on the company's blog, "the half-life of a like is very short: It doesn't mean so much for brands or sites general pages that last and last and last. But they mean a whole lot for oh-so-ephemeral pieces of content. Because that's what people actually share."
Another thing that Facebook Likes isn't indicative of is trust.
Last month About.com revealed that, for the vast majority of people, the number of Likes a Page has doesn't matter - it's the activity on that Page, or about it, which was more likely to increase trust.
In fact, Likes seem to have little significance. "It's hard to tell how old a Like is, or why people were liking them", stated one respondent to About.com's survey, while another said "I wish Likes would just go away. What's the value?"
- Reports: Brands are winning back to school
- Time spent gaming on mobile drops, eSports partly to blame
- Expert: How to turn data-rich into data-action
- Expert: 3 questions to ask before outsourcing
- Top retail brands' email marketing campaigns found wanting
- Retailers must consider tech expectations of in-store consumers
- Ad Roundup: Releases for social data, site understanding
- Best practices for a solid omnichannel strategy
Featured White Papers
- 7 Trends Impacting How We Use Digital Assets
Download this new Adobe white paper to discover the seven trends impacting how digital marketers create, manage, deliver, and optimize...
- The Retail Marketer's 2015 Holiday Playbook
Download this ebook to learn how to increase Average Order Value, drive last minute purchases, increase sales, extend in-store shopping...
- 3 Tactics to Increase Influence on Your Consumer's Complex Path to Purchase
Consumers are No Longer Predictable, and their Path to Purchase is No Longer Linear......
- What Your Website and a Great Book Should Have in Common
With real-time personalization, your website can share many of the same characteristics of a best-selling novel - including the ability...