News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Android to finish 2012 with more than 70% of handset market
Despite the launch of the Apple's iPhone 5, the smartphone market will continue to be dominated by Android, according to a new forecast from Digitimes Research.
The first half of 2012 saw Android grab 60% of the global smartphone market. By the end of the year Android-based devices will extend that lead to 70%, found Digitimes Research.
This is, in part, due to the strong presence of second-tier mobile makers in China along with the push to launch devices by other manufacturers in the third quarter.
Digitimes Research estimates that "overall shipments of Windows Phone-devices in 2012 will reach 21 million units, up more than double on year, while Apple's iPhone shipments will surpass 125 million units in 2012." That is only a 39% YoY growth for the iPhone in 2012, far less than in previous years.
Last month, figures released by Kantar Worldpanel ComTech revealed that Android dominated smartphone sales across Europe, the U.S., and Australia.
In fact, at least half of smartphone sales in the countries covered by ComTech's analysis were for Google's mobile operating systems. This, says the market analysis firm, is the first time this has happened across said nations.
For the 12 weeks ending 10th June 2012:
(Android / iOS)
US 50.2% / 37.4%
UK 57.2% / 25.6%
Australia 56.9% / 30.5%
Germany 68.5% / 17%
France 58.8% / 14.7%
Italy 49.6% / 20.2%
Spain 84.1% / 3.2%
- Consumers, like many marketers, don't know what native advertising is
- Travel: Paid search spend continues downward trend
- Why developers need to test apps
- Unruly: SocNetters buzz about getting buzzed
- Survey: Friends, not search, pushing mobile video
- Release leaves power of the brand with the brand
- Pinterest improves product engagement with Rich Pins
- ONS data reveals the U.K.'s 7.1 million disconnected
Featured White Papers
- The Promise of Marketing Operations Management
How can marketers keep pace with the ever-expanding volume of campaigns, customized offers, contact channels and product claims? More than...
- 54 Examples of Brilliant Homepage Design
For any given company, the homepage is its virtual front door - and face to the world. If a new...
- Learn How to Increase Traffic, Leads and Sales By Reaching More Than 11 million people on Pinterest
Pinterest isn't just another social media network. What appears to be the fastest-growing social media site ever has become a...
- Improving ROI with Marketing Optimization
The requirement to juggle multiple constraints and considerations is an inescapable part of the marketing equation. Marketing executives need a...
- Top 10 Online Brand Protection Strategies for 2013
Whether stealing web traffic, pirating digital content or selling counterfeit goods, online scammers are sure to continue highjacking brands for...
- Get Serious About Email Marketing
Small business success starts with a solid email foundation. If you're a small business with limited resources, you need an...