News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Android to finish 2012 with more than 70% of handset market
Despite the launch of the Apple's iPhone 5, the smartphone market will continue to be dominated by Android, according to a new forecast from Digitimes Research.
The first half of 2012 saw Android grab 60% of the global smartphone market. By the end of the year Android-based devices will extend that lead to 70%, found Digitimes Research.
This is, in part, due to the strong presence of second-tier mobile makers in China along with the push to launch devices by other manufacturers in the third quarter.
Digitimes Research estimates that "overall shipments of Windows Phone-devices in 2012 will reach 21 million units, up more than double on year, while Apple's iPhone shipments will surpass 125 million units in 2012." That is only a 39% YoY growth for the iPhone in 2012, far less than in previous years.
Last month, figures released by Kantar Worldpanel ComTech revealed that Android dominated smartphone sales across Europe, the U.S., and Australia.
In fact, at least half of smartphone sales in the countries covered by ComTech's analysis were for Google's mobile operating systems. This, says the market analysis firm, is the first time this has happened across said nations.
For the 12 weeks ending 10th June 2012:
(Android / iOS)
US 50.2% / 37.4%
UK 57.2% / 25.6%
Australia 56.9% / 30.5%
Germany 68.5% / 17%
France 58.8% / 14.7%
Italy 49.6% / 20.2%
Spain 84.1% / 3.2%
- Nearly half of consumers believe mobile marketing messages are irrelevant, useless
- Bazaarvoice points the way to authentic reviews
- Top 3 design tips for mobile email
- Cyber Monday: Hottest ever revenue day
- Long? Short? Which headline length generates the most click-throughs?
- comScore: U.S. smartphone ownership reaches all-time high
- UK retail websites struggled to cope with Cyber Monday traffic peaks
- Twitter ups ad relevancy with Tailored Audiences
Featured White Papers
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...