News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Talking on a mobile phone? How quaint.
Mobile phones were once purely a way to stay in touch when out and about. Today they are a digital "Swiss Army Knife" used as much, if not more, for web browsing and social networking than for talking to others.
Making calls on a mobile phone is taking up far less time than other activities. According to research by mobile network O2, we spend more time browsing the web (24.81 minutes/day) or social networking (17.49 minutes/day) using our smartphones than making calls (12.13 minutes) or text messaging (10.2 minutes).
Mobile phones are also performing the function of other devices. Over half (54%) use their phone in place of an alarm clock, 46% no longer use a watch but instead rely on their smartphone, 39% use their phone instead of a separate camera and a quarter (28%) use their phone instead of a laptop.
"Smartphones are now being used like a digital 'Swiss Army Knife', replacing possessions like watches, cameras, books and even laptops," said David Johnson, General Manager Devices for O2 in the UK.
"While we're seeing no let-up in the number of calls customers make or the amount of time they spend speaking on their phones, their phone now plays a far greater role in all aspects of their lives."
- App Store hits 50 billion milestone, Google Play not far behind
- IBM: Mother's Day shopping goes mobile
- Service industry occupations not safe from technology
- How webrooming is taking over ecommerce
- Report: Strong digital presence key to success
- Report: SMBs falling behind in tech
- Mobile the boost loyalty programs need
- British Land: UK retail stores must adapt or die
Featured White Papers
- Top 10 Online Brand Protection Strategies for 2013
Whether stealing web traffic, pirating digital content or selling counterfeit goods, online scammers are sure to continue highjacking brands for...
- Get Serious About Email Marketing
Small business success starts with a solid email foundation. If you're a small business with limited resources, you need an...
- The Essential Guide to Internet Marketing
Learn the latest tips and tricks to online marketing by downloading the latest edition of our most popular ebook! Whether...
- Smarter Service: The Contact Center of the Future
Today's consumers expect better service, better products, and better communication with retailers. Without a single view of the customer across...
- 9 Reasons Why Your Email Campaign Is Failing
When you analyze your email marketing program, what is your email data telling you? Measuring your data can be difficult,...
- Deliver Extraordinary Customer Experience
Competition is fierce in today's economy and customers know this. They can easily search the Internet to find companies that...