News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Tablet shipments could reach 800 million by 2016
Move over laptops, consumers are pushing to mobile. That, according to the Quarterly Mobile PC Shipment and Forecast Report available from NPD DisplaySearch. The report indicates 'mobile PC' - i.e. tablet and laptop - shipments could surpass 800 million by 2016.
In 2012 tablet/mobile PC shipments are expected to reach 347 million; notebook/PC shipments are expected to reach 208 million. The breakdown for 2016 is expected to be 416 million (tablet) and 393 million (PC) for a total of 809 million mobile units.
So, laptops are exactly dying, but their hold on the market will decrease; in 2012 laptops are expected to make up about 60% of mobile PC shipments but by 2017 they'll account for less than half.
"Consumer preference for mobile computing devices is shifting from notebook to tablet PCs, particularly in mature markets," said Richard Shim, senior analyst at NPD DisplaySearch. "While the lines between tablet and notebook PCs are blurring, we expect mature markets to be the primary regions for tablet PC adoption. New entrants are tending to launch their initial products in mature markets. Services and infrastructure needed to create compelling new usage models are often better established in mature markets."
The 'always on' functionality of tablets is one drawing factor for many consumers, finds the researchers. The future 'tablet PCs' are expected to include multi-core processors, app libraries and high-res displays while more traditional laptops are expected to evolve to be thinner, lighter and to involve touch-screens.
- The best practices for mobile brands in 2014
- Forecast: Big data to push SMBs into 2014
- Report: TV ads pushing engagement, intent
- Report: Online wide open for CPG brands
- Webrooming, Showrooming pushing shopper engagement
- Reports show what worked and didn't over Thanksgiving
- Value of price comparison providers revealed
- Commuters highly engaged and active mobile audience for brands, retailers
Featured White Papers
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...
- 10 Tips to Make your Facebook Content Newsfeed-Worthy
There's only one surefire way to reach the heart of your Facebook Fans: the newsfeed. And for brands, that means...
- Benefits of Web Self-Service
Customers want to solve their issues quickly and easily on the Web. Here we provide 3 recommended capabilities to invest...
- Google Hummingbird - The Marketer's Guide
Hummingbird is the most dramatic change that the Google search algorithm has seen in well over a decade....
- Worksheet: Are You Ready for Marketing Automation?
Use this worksheet to determine if your company is ready to use marketing automation. Regardless of your score, there's good...
- Wiley's Modern Marketing Book Bundle - A Free 163 Page Sampler
This Wiley e-book bundle includes selected materials from 6 recently published titles in Wiley's expansive catalog of titles. The material...
- 5 Recurring Revenue Growth Secrets
Your existing customers are the lifeblood of your business and the revenue that they provide is your most profitable. Why...