News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
SumAll reveals online shopping habits during summer slump
New York-based data analytics company SumAll has uncovered some hot summer shopping insights. Their findings may help online retailers keep their cool during the seasonal shopping slump.
The summer months bring with them a slump in online sales. Consumers spend more time with their families, outdoors, on vacation or otherwise distracted from their computers and mobile devices.
But, consumers aren't completely avoiding online retail therapy and the information SumAll has gleaned from analyzing data from over 3,000 of their merchants sheds light on their altered habits.
SumAll reports that July is the month when shoppers are least active online. It is the slowest month for online sales, when gross sales fall 30% from the high of December. Meanwhile, August sees average order sizes at their lowest of the year.
When looking at online shopper behavior by day of the week, Monday was found to be the day when big ticket items were most likely to be purchased, perhaps a way to fend off the Monday blues. Friday is when cheaper purchases are made, Wednesday sees the highest revenues generated and unit sales are 52% higher on Friday than Saturday.
The changes in consumer behavior during the summer months were observed across all business types and not limited to seasonal businesses.
- Consumers, like many marketers, don't know what native advertising is
- Travel: Paid search spend continues downward trend
- Why developers need to test apps
- Unruly: SocNetters buzz about getting buzzed
- Survey: Friends, not search, pushing mobile video
- Release leaves power of the brand with the brand
- Pinterest improves product engagement with Rich Pins
- ONS data reveals the U.K.'s 7.1 million disconnected
Featured White Papers
- The Promise of Marketing Operations Management
How can marketers keep pace with the ever-expanding volume of campaigns, customized offers, contact channels and product claims? More than...
- 54 Examples of Brilliant Homepage Design
For any given company, the homepage is its virtual front door - and face to the world. If a new...
- Learn How to Increase Traffic, Leads and Sales By Reaching More Than 11 million people on Pinterest
Pinterest isn't just another social media network. What appears to be the fastest-growing social media site ever has become a...
- Improving ROI with Marketing Optimization
The requirement to juggle multiple constraints and considerations is an inescapable part of the marketing equation. Marketing executives need a...
- Top 10 Online Brand Protection Strategies for 2013
Whether stealing web traffic, pirating digital content or selling counterfeit goods, online scammers are sure to continue highjacking brands for...
- Get Serious About Email Marketing
Small business success starts with a solid email foundation. If you're a small business with limited resources, you need an...