News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Spam complaints rise 43% in UK
In the year to March, 2012, the Information Commissioner's Office in the UK received over 7,000 complaints spam and other unsolicited electronic marketing - a big rise on the previous year.
Spam emails, automated telephone calls, unwanted mobile text messages and live cold calls by phone are dogging the British public.
The number of complaints received under the Privacy and Electronic Communications Regulations rose 43% year-on-year to reach 7,095 in the twelve months to March, 2012. Previously, the Information Commissioner's Office received fewer than 5,000 complaints were received.
Automated telephone calls generated the most complaints (35%) followed by unwanted text messages on mobile devices (29%), live phone calls (19%) and email (14%).
However, none of the cases reported resulted in any sort of consequence for the companies involved. In fact, of the received complaints the Information Commissioner's Office deemed just 11% worthy of investigation. The rest were classed as "made too early" or simply "ineligible".
In January, the Information Commissioner's Office was given the power to fine companies up to $780,000 (£500,000) for significant offences and improved their ability to better investigate spam complaints.
"We are working to identify the operators responsible," said Information Commissioner Christopher Graham. "The ICO has executed search warrants at a number of sites across the UK linked to companies we believe are breaking the law. We have also set up an online reporting mechanism on our website that allows people to report any marketing texts or calls from unidentified senders."
- The best practices for mobile brands in 2014
- Forecast: Big data to push SMBs into 2014
- Report: TV ads pushing engagement, intent
- Report: Online wide open for CPG brands
- Webrooming, Showrooming pushing shopper engagement
- Reports show what worked and didn't over Thanksgiving
- Value of price comparison providers revealed
- Commuters highly engaged and active mobile audience for brands, retailers
Featured White Papers
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...
- 10 Tips to Make your Facebook Content Newsfeed-Worthy
There's only one surefire way to reach the heart of your Facebook Fans: the newsfeed. And for brands, that means...
- Benefits of Web Self-Service
Customers want to solve their issues quickly and easily on the Web. Here we provide 3 recommended capabilities to invest...
- Google Hummingbird - The Marketer's Guide
Hummingbird is the most dramatic change that the Google search algorithm has seen in well over a decade....
- Worksheet: Are You Ready for Marketing Automation?
Use this worksheet to determine if your company is ready to use marketing automation. Regardless of your score, there's good...
- Wiley's Modern Marketing Book Bundle - A Free 163 Page Sampler
This Wiley e-book bundle includes selected materials from 6 recently published titles in Wiley's expansive catalog of titles. The material...
- 5 Recurring Revenue Growth Secrets
Your existing customers are the lifeblood of your business and the revenue that they provide is your most profitable. Why...