News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Shadows cast on Korean QR Code campaign
When Korea's largest retail chain, Emart, realized that revenues were being held back by a slump in sales during lunch-time, they came up with a unique way to harness the power of QR Codes and... the sun.
Strange, sundial-like installations started appearing in Seoul earlier this year. The installation was composed of 441 adjustable pillars with seven lengths.
They were three-dimensional QR Codes, positioned and located so that they could only be successfully scanned between the hours of 12 noon and 1pm, thanks to shadows cast by the midday sun.
Anybody who scanned the code was given a special 25% discount code redeemable in-store or through their mobile website. After a month the campaign generated over 12,600 coupon sales, increased Emart membership by 58%, drove a 25% increase in Emart mall sales during lunch hours and prompted ongoing on- and offline media coverage of their unique creativity.
The Emart campaign illustrates how best to use QR Codes to create intrigue and drive interaction, and how to maintain that interaction by offering value in return.
Called the "Sunny Sale" and developed at Cheil Worldwide, South Korea, by chief creative officer Ina Choi, the campaign won a Direct Lion at Cannes 2012.
- Mobile privacy and brand safety remain top challenges for UK media agencies
- Dispop proves the value of custom display ad creative
- Top 5 elements brands should test
- How to reduce the bounce
- Poor in-store service pushes festive shoppers online
- Why brands need more than CPM based metrics
- Reports show personalization impacts brand advertising
- Why brands should mine holiday data for new year performance
Featured White Papers
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...