News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Publisher places QR Codes on book jackets
Publisher Simon & Schuster isn't new to mobile or digital sales. Over a quarter of their sales are now digital. However, they're moving into new territory with the launch of QR Codes on book covers in the hopes of boosting website visits and their email newsletter list.
QR Codes have had a bad rap. They can be fiddly to capture and require a reader on a mobile phone. However, it's what they lead to that really matters and many companies aren't providing stimulating returns for the effort of scanning them.
One such company is Simon & Schuster. They're placing QR Codes on the back cover of new releases. Their aim is to get people to visit their website, the author's website or to sign up for their newsletter.
When people scan a QR Code they want something a little more stimulating and rewarding. Had the publisher linked the codes to free additional content relating to the book, say a free sample chapter or two, or even a competition to win related products, it could see more success.
But no, according to executive vice president and chief digital officers of Simon & Schuster, Ellie Hirschhorn, they're simply using the codes as a means to build their subscriber database so they can market more books and authors more cost-effectively.
- Why developers need to test apps
- Unruly: SocNetters buzz about getting buzzed
- Survey: Friends, not search, pushing mobile video
- Release leaves power of the brand with the brand
- Pinterest improves product engagement with Rich Pins
- ONS data reveals the U.K.'s 7.1 million disconnected
- Twitter launches lead generation tool
- uTest's Apphance shows 10 times more sessions
Featured White Papers
- 54 Examples of Brilliant Homepage Design
For any given company, the homepage is its virtual front door - and face to the world. If a new...
- Learn How to Increase Traffic, Leads and Sales By Reaching More Than 11 million people on Pinterest
Pinterest isn't just another social media network. What appears to be the fastest-growing social media site ever has become a...
- Improving ROI with Marketing Optimization
The requirement to juggle multiple constraints and considerations is an inescapable part of the marketing equation. Marketing executives need a...
- Top 10 Online Brand Protection Strategies for 2013
Whether stealing web traffic, pirating digital content or selling counterfeit goods, online scammers are sure to continue highjacking brands for...
- Get Serious About Email Marketing
Small business success starts with a solid email foundation. If you're a small business with limited resources, you need an...