News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Physical game sales still exceed digital, but only just
Around $3.4 billion was spent on gaming in the first quarter of this year, according to new research from the NPD Group, of which almost half was spent on digital content.
The NPD Group's research shows that U.S. gamers still prefer physical media over digital. A third of gamers now prefer to download their games online, but for how long? Physical content sales (a combination of used and rental) decreased by just 5% and digital format content sales grew by 10% compared to Q1 2011.
"While the growth in digital format sales does not yet offset the declines in physical format sales, clearly the changes occurring within the industry are reflected in the trends we are seeing in the research," said Anita Frazier, industry analyst, The NPD Group.
NPD asked 8,500 consumers whether they would buy a game as a digital download or the same game as a physical purchase in a store. While 65% said they would buy it at a store, 35% said they would download it.
NPD's results most probably also reflect the restrictions faced by youngsters when it comes to making online purchases. Many don't have access to a credit card and have little choice but to head to a physical store.
Similar research, from German statistics firm Statista, shows that sales of physical retail games in the U.S. are at their lowest since 2006.
- Social sharing call-to-action in digital ads drives consumer interaction
- Google Play in-app sales rise 700% YoY
- comScore: Desktop spending up 13% YoY
- Report: More money to focus on branded content
- Ads on YouTube grow but TV ads considered more effective
- Online preferred shopping environment of affluent consumers
- Top 3 tips to improve webrooming abilities
- BlueKai rolls out 3rd party data options
Featured White Papers
- Improving ROI with Marketing Optimization
The requirement to juggle multiple constraints and considerations is an inescapable part of the marketing equation. Marketing executives need a...
- Top 10 Online Brand Protection Strategies for 2013
Whether stealing web traffic, pirating digital content or selling counterfeit goods, online scammers are sure to continue highjacking brands for...
- Get Serious About Email Marketing
Small business success starts with a solid email foundation. If you're a small business with limited resources, you need an...
- The Essential Guide to Internet Marketing
Learn the latest tips and tricks to online marketing by downloading the latest edition of our most popular ebook! Whether...
- Smarter Service: The Contact Center of the Future
Today's consumers expect better service, better products, and better communication with retailers. Without a single view of the customer across...
- 9 Reasons Why Your Email Campaign Is Failing
When you analyze your email marketing program, what is your email data telling you? Measuring your data can be difficult,...
- Deliver Extraordinary Customer Experience
Competition is fierce in today's economy and customers know this. They can easily search the Internet to find companies that...