News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Opt-in Twitter feature allows brands to restrict age of (honest) Followers
Some brands that cater to exclusively adults need to ensure their audience is of the right age, no matter where they are targeting them. Help is at hand for brands using Twitter thanks to an age screening tool released by social media analytics firm Buddy Media in partnership with the micro-blogging platform.
Alcohol brands, breweries and mature content of all types online needs barriers put in place to ensure innocent eyes aren't looking. Many age-restricted websites already have processes in place to ascertain the age of their users.
Buddy Media and Twitter have come together to create a new opt-in feature that enables brands with adult content to prevent under-age Twitter users from following their account.
It works by sending out a Direct Message to users when they try to Follow a brand that requires age verification. It simply asks the user to confirm their date of birth. It's like a blind bartender asking to see your I.D., you can hand over anyone's I.D. and they'd be none the wiser.
In fact, apart from the brands themselves being able to say they've played ball and asked for age verification, the process is fairly useless as the process relies entirely on the user entering their correct date of birth, there are no checks done to verify this.
Brands wishing to use the age screening feature can sign up to get approval here.
- Nearly half of consumers believe mobile marketing messages are irrelevant, useless
- Bazaarvoice points the way to authentic reviews
- Top 3 design tips for mobile email
- Cyber Monday: Hottest ever revenue day
- Long? Short? Which headline length generates the most click-throughs?
- comScore: U.S. smartphone ownership reaches all-time high
- UK retail websites struggled to cope with Cyber Monday traffic peaks
- Twitter ups ad relevancy with Tailored Audiences
Featured White Papers
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...