News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Mobile security firm reveals security risks associated with mobile app ads
Consumers are lapping up free apps, and most are happy to tolerate the ads served within those apps, as a payoff for free use. Lookout Mobile Security has found that, for many ad-supported app users, they payoff could be more insidious.
Lookout Mobile Security has found that some ad providers are accessing personal information such as phone number, email and name, without first notifying users of free apps.
Furthermore, many of these ad providers are using "aggressive" ad delivery techniques such as changing settings, such as bookmarks, or installing software without the users' knowledge.
While just 5% of the ad networks analyzed by Lookout employed such techniques, this still accounts for more than 80 million downloads.
While Lookout has not named the ad providers they flagged, they did say that, on Google Play, they found that personalization apps, such as wallpaper apps, had the highest rate (17%) of aggressive ad network integrations. This was followed by entertainment apps (8%) and games (7%).
"We are in a very early days of mobile advertising and models are very much derived from the web where practices have not been very respectful," Anne Bezancon, founder and president of Placecast, told Reuters.
"The mobile experience is much more intimate and personal - a phone is an extension of you, not a distant publishing screen. The equivalent is someone whispering in your ear."
- Tapjoy reveals mobile habits of traveling consumers
- Product reviews on Facebook more trusted, influential than on other social media
- Mobile privacy and brand safety remain top challenges for UK media agencies
- Dispop proves the value of custom display ad creative
- Top 5 elements brands should test
- How to reduce the bounce
- Poor in-store service pushes festive shoppers online
- Why brands need more than CPM based metrics
Featured White Papers
- 5 Tips for B2B Marketing Data Domination
You work hard to collect your marketing data. But you can collect so much that sometimes it's hard to make...
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...