News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Mobile a game-changer for eBay
eBay and PayPal mobile will each transact $10 billion this year, according to the online auction website's latest earnings figures, making it a game-changer for the firm.
The online auction giant reported profits of $692 million in the three months to the end of June, up from $283 million in the same period a year earlier. Meanwhile, revenue rose 23% to $3.4 billion. The website's Marketplaces business also saw the strongest growth rate in six years.
As more people rely on mobile devices to shop, bank, and discover, mobile has been a game-changer for eBay. The company announced it expects eBay and PayPal mobile to each transact $10 billion in volume this year - double that of 2011.
"As we consistently execute against our three-year growth plans, there is no question that an inflection point is occurring in retail," said CEO John J. Donahoe. "Mobile is revolutionizing how people shop and pay, becoming the digital nexus of consumers' lives. They want what they want, when they want it, anywhere, anytime."
eBay makes most of its income by charging merchants to list items for sale. It also generates revenue from PayPal transaction fees. eBay also owns StubHub, the ticket-selling website, Shopping.com, and GSI Commerce, a provider of e-commerce and online marketing services.
- Report: Online wide open for CPG brands
- Webrooming, Showrooming pushing shopper engagement
- Reports show what worked and didn't over Thanksgiving
- Value of price comparison providers revealed
- Commuters highly engaged and active mobile audience for brands, retailers
- We2 to connect NYC's retailers and consumers via 'social WiFi'
- Consumers rate email as most relevant and accurate of all channels
- Research: Silver surfers feel undervalued by retailers
Featured White Papers
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...
- 10 Tips to Make your Facebook Content Newsfeed-Worthy
There's only one surefire way to reach the heart of your Facebook Fans: the newsfeed. And for brands, that means...
- Benefits of Web Self-Service
Customers want to solve their issues quickly and easily on the Web. Here we provide 3 recommended capabilities to invest...
- Google Hummingbird - The Marketer's Guide
Hummingbird is the most dramatic change that the Google search algorithm has seen in well over a decade....
- Worksheet: Are You Ready for Marketing Automation?
Use this worksheet to determine if your company is ready to use marketing automation. Regardless of your score, there's good...
- Wiley's Modern Marketing Book Bundle - A Free 163 Page Sampler
This Wiley e-book bundle includes selected materials from 6 recently published titles in Wiley's expansive catalog of titles. The material...
- 5 Recurring Revenue Growth Secrets
Your existing customers are the lifeblood of your business and the revenue that they provide is your most profitable. Why...