News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Mobile a game-changer for eBay
eBay and PayPal mobile will each transact $10 billion this year, according to the online auction website's latest earnings figures, making it a game-changer for the firm.
The online auction giant reported profits of $692 million in the three months to the end of June, up from $283 million in the same period a year earlier. Meanwhile, revenue rose 23% to $3.4 billion. The website's Marketplaces business also saw the strongest growth rate in six years.
As more people rely on mobile devices to shop, bank, and discover, mobile has been a game-changer for eBay. The company announced it expects eBay and PayPal mobile to each transact $10 billion in volume this year - double that of 2011.
"As we consistently execute against our three-year growth plans, there is no question that an inflection point is occurring in retail," said CEO John J. Donahoe. "Mobile is revolutionizing how people shop and pay, becoming the digital nexus of consumers' lives. They want what they want, when they want it, anywhere, anytime."
eBay makes most of its income by charging merchants to list items for sale. It also generates revenue from PayPal transaction fees. eBay also owns StubHub, the ticket-selling website, Shopping.com, and GSI Commerce, a provider of e-commerce and online marketing services.
- Elance: Remote hiring sees 60% jump
- Engajer integrates to LinkedIn
- JiWire: Mobile engaging travel consumers
- Drama, inane ramblings and parents turn teens off Facebook
- Survey: UK consumers re-think loyalty to brands
- PPA: Digital magazines boost demand for print editions
- Tapjoy: Ad engagements preferred by mobiles
- European silver surfers' media consumption moving online
Featured White Papers
- Learn How to Increase Traffic, Leads and Sales By Reaching More Than 11 million people on Pinterest
Pinterest isn't just another social media network. What appears to be the fastest-growing social media site ever has become a...
- Improving ROI with Marketing Optimization
The requirement to juggle multiple constraints and considerations is an inescapable part of the marketing equation. Marketing executives need a...
- Top 10 Online Brand Protection Strategies for 2013
Whether stealing web traffic, pirating digital content or selling counterfeit goods, online scammers are sure to continue highjacking brands for...
- Get Serious About Email Marketing
Small business success starts with a solid email foundation. If you're a small business with limited resources, you need an...