News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Millennial Media: Travel vertical up 200% YoY
The travel vertical is speeding through the mobile space. That according to new data from Millennial Media; the company has released a special SMART report focusing on the travel category, which ranks third for the mobile space behind Telecom and Finance.
"Travel was the number three vertical on the Top 10 Global Brand Advertising Vertical ranking," writes the company. "While present among the top verticals throughout 2011, travel advertisers were particularly active in Q1 as they targeted mobile users with post-holiday getaway ideas and travel deals."
According to the data from Millennial Media:
• Travel advertisers spent 200% more YoY on the mobile category
• 62% use mobile to sustain an in-market presence
• 57% of travel campaigns, run with Millennial Media, were from Book Agents/Travel sites
• 18% from hotel/resort or cruise lines
As for how travel marketers are engaging their users, 59% are using app downloads as a campaign action, 22% ask for subscriptions and 20% point users to mobile social media profiles. It isn't just vacationers who are targeted with mobile travel ads. Millennial Media reports advertisers were three times more likely to target business travelers as vacation travelers.
Increased spending is great, you say, but what about the return on investment? That is quite high, too. Data out from eMarketer shows 85% of vacationers are staying in touch via email throughout vacation times, 67% are using GPS/Maps via mobile device while traveling and 62% are searching for local restaurants/attractions while on vacation. These 'mobile travelers' are also staying in touch via social media - sharing pictures and updating statuses - via mobile and are using mobile to stay up on entertainment - reading, streaming video, etc.
- Mobile privacy and brand safety remain top challenges for UK media agencies
- Dispop proves the value of custom display ad creative
- Top 5 elements brands should test
- How to reduce the bounce
- Poor in-store service pushes festive shoppers online
- Why brands need more than CPM based metrics
- Reports show personalization impacts brand advertising
- Why brands should mine holiday data for new year performance
Featured White Papers
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...