News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
IDC: One-third of Americans have used mobile payments
Mobile payments have come from nowhere to be used today by over a third of Americans, according to the figures from IDC Financial Insights' latest Consumer Payments Survey.
A year ago just 19% of respondents to IDC's Consumer Payments Survey had used their mobile phone to make a purchase.
This year that figure has risen to 34%.
IDC found that mobile apps were used for most mobile payments with almost half of those who had made a point-of-sale purchase using one, far more than had used contactless methods or SMS.
"One finding that was surprising was how much POS purchases people reported making," said Aaron McPherson, financial insights practice director at IDC. "Over a third of the people that had made a mobile payment said they had done it at the point of sale."
Of those that had made a mobile payment, more than half used PayPal Mobile (56%), with Amazon Payments and Apple's iTunes service tied at around 40%.
"What we are seeing is a lot of experimentation and one-off types of things," he said. "A lot of that may be the Starbucks app, which would count as POS and has significant penetration," added McPherson.
While apps and online digital goods are easily purchased via mobile, surprising stats from the study reveal that more people reported buying physical goods with their mobile phones than online digital goods.
- Ad viewability levels down across Europe
- Virtual Reality: Seeing, and trying, is believing and buying
- Expert: Retail's trends to watch
- Mobile Roundup: Platforms to simplify work, personal lives
- Report: Fraud attacks up 80%
- Marketers value startups for their passion, drive, and technological prowess
- How mobile is changing retail
- ECommerce Roundup: Platforms to simplify shopper interaction
Featured White Papers
- The Ultimate Guide to Website Personalization
There is a wealth of methods to put your company's data to work; by far, personalization is one of the...