News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
IDC: One-third of Americans have used mobile payments
Mobile payments have come from nowhere to be used today by over a third of Americans, according to the figures from IDC Financial Insights' latest Consumer Payments Survey.
A year ago just 19% of respondents to IDC's Consumer Payments Survey had used their mobile phone to make a purchase.
This year that figure has risen to 34%.
IDC found that mobile apps were used for most mobile payments with almost half of those who had made a point-of-sale purchase using one, far more than had used contactless methods or SMS.
"One finding that was surprising was how much POS purchases people reported making," said Aaron McPherson, financial insights practice director at IDC. "Over a third of the people that had made a mobile payment said they had done it at the point of sale."
Of those that had made a mobile payment, more than half used PayPal Mobile (56%), with Amazon Payments and Apple's iTunes service tied at around 40%.
"What we are seeing is a lot of experimentation and one-off types of things," he said. "A lot of that may be the Starbucks app, which would count as POS and has significant penetration," added McPherson.
While apps and online digital goods are easily purchased via mobile, surprising stats from the study reveal that more people reported buying physical goods with their mobile phones than online digital goods.
- Ecommerce Roundup: Payment solutions and an email idea
- How for-profits can capitalize with non-profit strategy
- Study IDs most important shopper for retailers
- Study: Consumers text for customer support
- Study IDs what Apple Watch users are really up to
- Top 3 tips for better triggered emails
- Study: Look for more gift cards this summer
- Top 3 tips to make your email 'Pitch Perfect'
Featured White Papers
- Retargeting on Facebook by the Numbers: The Analysis of Retargeting in the Center of the Social Web
Over the past two years, advertisers have rapidly adopted retargeting on Facebook to drive key metrics like conversions, app downloads,...
- Email A/B Split Testing Guide
You worked hard creating great products, at least as hard growing a viable business to support them- and perhaps even...
- Not Provided Insights & Intelligence - 2015 Edition
Keywords are fundamental to your integrated SEO and Content Marketing strategies. gShift's Not Provided Guide will help you connect...
- Learn how to fill your funnel with high-quality leads
In this comprehensive, 160 page guide, we cover topics ranging from content marketing and website SEO to telesales and content...