News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
IDC: One-third of Americans have used mobile payments
Mobile payments have come from nowhere to be used today by over a third of Americans, according to the figures from IDC Financial Insights' latest Consumer Payments Survey.
A year ago just 19% of respondents to IDC's Consumer Payments Survey had used their mobile phone to make a purchase.
This year that figure has risen to 34%.
IDC found that mobile apps were used for most mobile payments with almost half of those who had made a point-of-sale purchase using one, far more than had used contactless methods or SMS.
"One finding that was surprising was how much POS purchases people reported making," said Aaron McPherson, financial insights practice director at IDC. "Over a third of the people that had made a mobile payment said they had done it at the point of sale."
Of those that had made a mobile payment, more than half used PayPal Mobile (56%), with Amazon Payments and Apple's iTunes service tied at around 40%.
"What we are seeing is a lot of experimentation and one-off types of things," he said. "A lot of that may be the Starbucks app, which would count as POS and has significant penetration," added McPherson.
While apps and online digital goods are easily purchased via mobile, surprising stats from the study reveal that more people reported buying physical goods with their mobile phones than online digital goods.
- Report: Product placements can recoup commercial losses
- Study highlights consumer behavior in tablet purchase journey
- Britain leads Europe's online shopping boom
- YouGov: Mobile commerce confidence grows among consumers
- Study finds the moments ads will most likely garner attention
- Report: SMB owners optimistic about 2014 holidays
- Brands: Why you need to connect social and cross-platform marketing objectives
- 35% of U.S. online shoppers won't browse or buy from Alibaba
Featured White Papers
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...