News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
How the 2012 Olympics may boost social media
What a difference two years can make. While many 2010 Winter Olympians Tweeted or Facebooked friends and family during the games, the number of Olympics fans and viewers using social media to follow the games was much smaller than the number expected during the 2012 Olympic Games.
New data from TechBargains suggests about 7 of 8 Olympics viewers plan to use social and/or texting to talk about the games. TechBargains data also suggests:
• 53% plan to support specific athletes via social media or texting during the Games
• 77% plan to engage with other fans via Facebook
• 31% plan to use Twitter
• 57% will be using social media from laptops during the Games
Those viewers are also planning to upgrade how they watch. The survey found more than 15% plan to 'buy a device' - like a new television set - to enjoy the 2012 Olympics.
"The 2012 Summer London Olympics are introducing the 3D TV experience to sporting events, something that has yet to be done on such a large scale," said Yung Trang, President and Editor in Chief of TechBargains.com. "While the results indicate that not many people will actually be watching the events via a 3D TV, it's simply because they don't have access to the proper entertainment system and not because of a lack of interest. This is also the first Olympic games since social media use has become widespread. Both factors have serious implications for all national and international sports organizations and will dramatically affect the viewer experience."
94% plan to watch the Games via television but nearly half (46%) will stream via laptop while 31% plan to watch via tablet. And, don't tell the boss, but about 20% will tune in to Olympics coverage at work.
Meanwhile, iProspect data suggests the number of Twitter, Facebook and other social media accounts will soar just before the Olympics as people try to take advantage of the social space to get a more detailed look at events. Nearly 5 billion fans are expected to watch more than 5,000 hours of Olympic content this year - and one-third (33%) have a connected device. Those tablets, smartphones and laptops, as well as connected TVs, will give fans even more ways to engage with Olympic athletes, coverage - and sponsors.
- Ads on YouTube grow but TV ads considered more effective
- Online preferred shopping environment of affluent consumers
- Top 3 tips to improve webrooming abilities
- BlueKai rolls out 3rd party data options
- Reports: Social, Cloud offering assist to small businesses
- App Store hits 50 billion milestone, Google Play not far behind
- IBM: Mother's Day shopping goes mobile
- Service industry occupations not safe from technology
Featured White Papers
- Improving ROI with Marketing Optimization
The requirement to juggle multiple constraints and considerations is an inescapable part of the marketing equation. Marketing executives need a...
- Top 10 Online Brand Protection Strategies for 2013
Whether stealing web traffic, pirating digital content or selling counterfeit goods, online scammers are sure to continue highjacking brands for...
- Get Serious About Email Marketing
Small business success starts with a solid email foundation. If you're a small business with limited resources, you need an...
- The Essential Guide to Internet Marketing
Learn the latest tips and tricks to online marketing by downloading the latest edition of our most popular ebook! Whether...
- Smarter Service: The Contact Center of the Future
Today's consumers expect better service, better products, and better communication with retailers. Without a single view of the customer across...
- 9 Reasons Why Your Email Campaign Is Failing
When you analyze your email marketing program, what is your email data telling you? Measuring your data can be difficult,...
- Deliver Extraordinary Customer Experience
Competition is fierce in today's economy and customers know this. They can easily search the Internet to find companies that...