News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Facebook Timeline has adverse effect on Custom Tab views
Could the new Timeline design on Facebook be having an adverse effect on how much of your Facebook Page users explore? Yes, according to new research from Facebook analytics firm PageLever.
Have you noticed a drop-off in custom tab views since Facebook released Timeline? PageLever has. They noticed that, as the roll-out of Timeline went from opt-in to mandatory, the number of custom tab views declined drastically.
From pre-Timeline to date, PageLever saw a 53% drop in custom tab views.
"Without the option to set a custom tab as the default view, most users will never see a tab again," writes PageLever co-found Jeff Widman, on the company blog. "We've heard from several users they didn't even realize tabs still existed with Timeline."
The problem with the Timeline design is two-fold. First, setting a custom tab as the default landing page is no longer an option. Second, finding custom tabs isn't nearly as easy as it was pre-Timeline.
It looks like more research will come of PageLever's findings. While analyzing the data for custom tab views, consistent 2-day spikes were observed. These spikes, says Widman, occur at weekends when, it seems, Facebook users spend more time exploring Facebook Pages and, as a result, view more tabs per visit.
Have you noticed a difference in custom tab views since the introduction of Timeline?
- Mobile privacy and brand safety remain top challenges for UK media agencies
- Dispop proves the value of custom display ad creative
- Top 5 elements brands should test
- How to reduce the bounce
- Poor in-store service pushes festive shoppers online
- Why brands need more than CPM based metrics
- Reports show personalization impacts brand advertising
- Why brands should mine holiday data for new year performance
Featured White Papers
- 5 Tips for B2B Marketing Data Domination
You work hard to collect your marketing data. But you can collect so much that sometimes it's hard to make...
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...