News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Facebook Timeline has adverse effect on Custom Tab views
Could the new Timeline design on Facebook be having an adverse effect on how much of your Facebook Page users explore? Yes, according to new research from Facebook analytics firm PageLever.
Have you noticed a drop-off in custom tab views since Facebook released Timeline? PageLever has. They noticed that, as the roll-out of Timeline went from opt-in to mandatory, the number of custom tab views declined drastically.
From pre-Timeline to date, PageLever saw a 53% drop in custom tab views.
"Without the option to set a custom tab as the default view, most users will never see a tab again," writes PageLever co-found Jeff Widman, on the company blog. "We've heard from several users they didn't even realize tabs still existed with Timeline."
The problem with the Timeline design is two-fold. First, setting a custom tab as the default landing page is no longer an option. Second, finding custom tabs isn't nearly as easy as it was pre-Timeline.
It looks like more research will come of PageLever's findings. While analyzing the data for custom tab views, consistent 2-day spikes were observed. These spikes, says Widman, occur at weekends when, it seems, Facebook users spend more time exploring Facebook Pages and, as a result, view more tabs per visit.
Have you noticed a difference in custom tab views since the introduction of Timeline?
- Unruly: SocNetters buzz about getting buzzed
- Survey: Friends, not search, pushing mobile video
- Release leaves power of the brand with the brand
- Pinterest improves product engagement with Rich Pins
- ONS data reveals the U.K.'s 7.1 million disconnected
- Twitter launches lead generation tool
- uTest's Apphance shows 10 times more sessions
- New social network to connection non-corp types
Featured White Papers
- 54 Examples of Brilliant Homepage Design
For any given company, the homepage is its virtual front door - and face to the world. If a new...
- Learn How to Increase Traffic, Leads and Sales By Reaching More Than 11 million people on Pinterest
Pinterest isn't just another social media network. What appears to be the fastest-growing social media site ever has become a...
- Improving ROI with Marketing Optimization
The requirement to juggle multiple constraints and considerations is an inescapable part of the marketing equation. Marketing executives need a...
- Top 10 Online Brand Protection Strategies for 2013
Whether stealing web traffic, pirating digital content or selling counterfeit goods, online scammers are sure to continue highjacking brands for...
- Get Serious About Email Marketing
Small business success starts with a solid email foundation. If you're a small business with limited resources, you need an...